Head of Department of Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery / Director of Institute of Motion Analysis and Research
Department of Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery,
Tayside Orthopaedic and Rehabilitation Technology (TORT) Centre,
Ninewells Hospital and Medical School,
University of Dundee
+(44) 01382 383502
Professor Rami Abboud has been actively involved and played an instrumental role in the development, progress and resulting successes of the Department of Orthopaedic & Trauma Surgery at the University of Dundee since joining the department in 1988.
As a graduate in Electrical Engineering from the American University of Beirut in 1988, Professor Abboud continued his postgraduate studies and obtained an MSc and PhD in Biomedical and Rehabilitation Engineering at the University of Dundee in 1989 and 1995 respectively.
Professor Abboud has progressed from being a Postgraduate Student to Research Assistant (1993) to Lecturer and Director of the Master of Orthopaedic Surgery (MCh Orth) Course (1996) to Senior Lecturer (2002) and subsequently to a Professor and Head of Department (2007). His roles as Finance Manager (since 1998), Deputy Head of Department (2001-2003) and Acting Head of Department (2003-2007) allowed him to strategically develop and invest in the main core of the department’s activities namely taught courses (in-house and distance learning), and in founding, developing and leading the Institute of Motion Analysis & Research (IMAR) (2003 - present) that has evolved to become one of the leading facilities in the world for motion analysis and biomechanical research. IMAR’s facilities have allowed him and his team the opportunity to expand their activities into a multidisciplinary portfolio of teaching and research, collaborating with a diverse range of disciplines from medicine and allied health professionals to science and engineering as well as art and choreography.
Professor Abboud served as the 1st College Lead for International Affairs (2008 - 2010). He carries on with his role as the Chairman of the College Undergraduate Intercalated BMSc Honours Degree; a role he has occupied since 2002. The intercalated degree flourished under his leadership and has seen an increase in courses on offer from 7 to 14 associated with an increase of medical students intercalating from 15 to 80 students. In 2011, Professor Abboud was appointed the Deputy Director of the Medical Education Institute (MEI) and the Director of its Postgraduate Education.
Professor Abboud has been an elected member of the University Senate since 1996 and was elected by the Academic Council to the University governing body, Court, in 2004 and 2007 respectively, and most recently in 2011 by the University Senate. Professor Abboud serves on numerous other committees within the University and respective Societies.
Professor Abboud has been a member of the Editorial Committee of the International Foot Journal since 1998 and the Foot and Ankle Surgery since 2009. In January 2007, he was invited by the China Instrument and Control Society to be the foreign member for the Editorial Committee of the Chinese Journal of Scientific Instrument and was promoted to Senior Member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE). Professor Abboud is a regular reviewer to over 15 peer-review journals. In January 2013, Professor was appointed the Editor-in-Chief of the Foot.
Professor Abboud qualified as a certified accredited mediator, trained by Catalyst Mediation, in 2008, and has since been a member of the Scottish Mediation Network.
Professor Abboud’s dedication towards teaching, research and training was recognised in 2011 by the award of a rare accolade, Honorary Fellow, of the Royal College of Surgeons of England which was formally recognised at the College’s Awards Ceremony on 18th January 2012. The number of living non-medically qualified Honorary Fellows shall not exceed 30 at any one time; a rare accolade that is usually awarded to internationally recognised figures in their particular speciality.
The research programme that Professor Abboud established on Biomechanics and Motion Analysis in the late 80s led in 1993 to the foundation of the Foot Pressure Analysis Lab/Clinic and subsequently in 2003 to IMAR taking the leading role as founder, director and honorary Consultant Clinical Scientist at NHS Tayside. IMAR's main goal is to promote excellence in teaching and research and to provide a comprehensive clinical service in the fields of Motion Analysis and Biomechanics. The research focuses on important aspects of daily activities in relation to posture, movement and ergonomics, with emphasis placed on sports and disability. The overall aim is to alleviate pain, correct deformity and enhance performance. Over 150 conference papers have thus far been presented at national and international conferences as an outcome of the research undertaken by our MChOrth, BMSc, PhD, MD and MSc students at IMAR.
- "Dynamic pressure effect on horse and horse rider during riding". Sports Engineering (2014), Nicol G, Arnold GP, Wang W, Abboud RJ.
- "Dynamic 3D shape of the plantar surface of the foot using coded structured light: a technical report". Journal of Foot & Ankle Research (2014), 7:5 doi:10.1186/1757-1146-7-5 Thabet AK, Trucco E, Salvi J, Wang W, Abboud RJ.
- "Analysis of joint force and torque for the human and non-human ape foot during bipedal walking with implications for the evolution of the foot". Journal of Anatomy (2014), Wang W, Abboud RJ, Gunther MM, Crompton RH.
- "Efficacy of low-level laser therapy applied at acupuncture points in knee osteoarthritis: a randomised double-blind comparative trial". Physiotherapy (in press) (2014), PHYST-731;7 Al Rashoud AS, Abboud RJ, Wang W, Wigderowitz CA.
- "Energy consumption during simulated minimal access surgery with and without using an armrest". Surgical Endoscopy (2013), 27:971-977 Jafri M, Brown S, Arnold GP, Abboud RJ, Wang W.
- "Mechanisms of cervical spine injury in rugby union: a systematic review of the literature". British Journal of Sports Medicine (2012), 29, 10.1136 Kuster D, Gibson JNA, Abboud RJ, Drew TS.
- "Assessment of talipes equinovarus treated by Ponseti technique: three-year preliminary report". The Foot (2012), 22:90-94 Yapp LZ, Arnold GP, Nasir S, Wang W, MacLean JGB, Abboud RJ.
- "Kellers arthroplasty in adults with hallux valgus and hallux rigidus". Foot & Ankle Surgery (2012), 18:34-38 Putti AB, Pande S, Adam RF, Abboud RJ.
- "Vascular assessment and microcirculation in lower limb wounds". Journal of Wound Technology (2012), 18-24 Flynn L, Abboud RJ, Khan F..
- "Harmful cleats of football boots: a biomechanical evaluation". Foot & Ankle Surgery (2011), 17:140-144 Bentley J, Ramanathan AK, Arnold GP, Wang W, Abboud RJ.
- "Does the Oxford Knee Score complement, concur or contradict the American Knee Society Score". Journal of Arthroplasty (2011), Reddy K, Johnston L, Wang W, Abboud RJ.
- "The effect of varying footwear configurations on the Peroneus Longus muscle Function Following Inversion". The Foot (2011), 21(1):31-36 Ramanathan AK, Wallace DT, Arnold GP, Drew TS, Wang W, Abboud RJ.
- "Bilateral simultaneous hip replacement versus bilateral sequential hip replacement: a seven-year data review". Orthopaedic Nursing (2011), 30(2):119-123 Johnston L, Clift BA, Abboud RJ.
- "Comparison of two actuation systems for laparoscopic surgical manipulators using motion analysis". Surgical Endoscopy (2011), 25, 964-974 Kolwadkar Y, Brown S, Abboud RJ, Wang W.
- "A motion simulation and biomechanical analysis of the shoulder joint using a whole human model". The 4th International Conference on Biomedical Engineering and Informatics (2011), Vol.4:2290-2294 Sen S, Abboud RJ, Ming D, Wan B, Liao Y, Gong Q, Wang W.
- "A method to calculate the centre of the ankle joint: a comparison with the Vicon® Plug-in-gait Model". Clinical Biomechanics (2010), 25:582-587 Nair SP, Gibbs S, Arnold GP, Abboud RJ, Wang W.
- "Selection of major parameters for patients with cerebral palsy and healthy adults in gait analysis using principal component analysis". 6th World Congress of Biomechanics (2010), Khan F, Abboud RJ, Wang W.
- "Foot pressure differences in men and women". Foot & Ankle Surgery (2010), 16:21-24 Putti AB, Arnold GP, Abboud RJ.
- "Objective assessment of the alterations in wrist mobility with the Fastrak® system following dorsal capsulodesis". Hand Surgery (2010), 15(3):237-41 Jariwala AC, Scott I, Arnold GP, Abboud RJ, Wigderowitz CA.
- "Repeatability of the Pedar®-X in-shoe pressure measuring system". Foot & Ankle Surgery (2010), 16(2), pp.70-73 Ramanathan AK, Kiran P, Arnold GP, Wang W, Abboud RJ.
- "Differences in foot pressures between Caucasians and Indians". Foot & Ankle Surgery (2010), 16:195-198 Putti AB, Arnold GP, Abboud RJ.
- "Normal pressure values and repeatability of the Emed®-st2 system". Gait & Posture (2010), 32:392-394 Maetzler M, Bochdansky T, Abboud RJ.
- "Clubfoot assessment: the complete IMAR footprint". Orthopaedics & Trauma (2010), 24(4):303-308 Ramanathan AK, Abboud RJ.
- "A clinically specific model for analysing multi-joint kinematics in the foot and its validation". 6th World Congress of Biomechanics (2010), Sharafeldin K, Abboud RJ, Wang W.
- "The influence of shoe soles varying thickness on lower limb muscle activity". Foot & Ankle Surgery (2011), 17:218-223 Ramanathan AK, Parish EJ, Arnold GP, Drew TS, Wang W, Abboud RJ.
- "Classification Of The Reduced Vertical Component Of The Ground Reaction Force In Late Stance In Cerebral Palsy Gait". Gait & Posture (2011), 34: 370-373 Williams SE, Gibbs S, Meadows CB, Abboud RJ.
- "Shoes influence lower limb muscle activity and may predispose the wearer to lateral ankle ligament injury". Journal of Orthopaedic Research (2009), 27: 318-324. R Kerr, GP Arnold, TS Drew, LA Cochrane, RJ Abboud.
- "The effects of off-the-shelf in-shoe heel inserts on forefoot plantar pressure". Gait & Posture (2008), 28: 533 - 537. AK Ramanathan, MC John, GP Arnold, LA Cochrane, RJ Abboud.
- "Sensory motor training for active completion of osteopathic treatment". Phys. Med. Rehab. Kuror (2008), 18: 203 - 206. M Maetzler, T Bochdansky, LA Cochrane, RJ Abboud.
- "Off-the-shelf in-shoe heel inserts - does cost matter?" British Journal of Sports Medicine (2008), 42: 750 - 752. AK Ramanathan, MC John, GP Arnold, LA Cochrane, RJ Abboud.
- "Foot pressure in clubfoot - the development of an objective assessment tool". The Foot (2008), 18: 99 - 105. F Herd, AK Ramanathan, LA Cochrane, M Macnicol, RJ Abboud.
- "Do you get value for money when you buy an expensive pair of running shoes?" British J. Sports Medicine (2008), 42: 189 - 193. R Clinghan, GP Arnold, TS Drew, L Cochrane, RJ Abboud.
- "Press-fit ceramic implant arthroplasty of the hallux metatarsophalangeal joint - evaluation of outcomes". The Foot (2008), 18: 34 - 39. AK Ramanathan, GE Fadel, AS Jain, RJ Abboud.
- "Normal pressure values and the repeatability of the Emed system". Gait & Posture (2008), 27(3): 501-505. A Putti, GP Arnold, LA Cochrane, RJ Abboud.
- "Do patients with diabetes wear the correct sized shoes for their feet?" International Journal of Clinical Practice (2007), 61(11): 1900 - 1904. SJ Harrison, LA Cochrane, RJ Abboud, GP Leese.
- "Adapting the Fastrak® System for three-dimensional measurement of the wrist motion". Journal of Hand Surgery (2007), 32E: 6: 700 - 704. CA Wigderowitz, I Scott, AC Jariwala, GP Arnold, RJ Abboud.
- "The Pedar inshoe pressure system: repeatability and normal pressure values". Gait & Posture (2007), 25: 401 - 405. AB Putti, GP Arnold, LA Cochrane, RJ Abboud.
- "The inadequate ergonomic effect of automobile seating on foot posture and callus development". Ergonomics (2007), 50(1): 131 - 137. B Rajput, RJ Abboud.
- "Safety of orthopaedic implants in magnetic resonance imaging (MRI): an experimental verification". Journal of Orthopaedic Research (2006), 24(9): 1799 - 1802. R Kumar, S Gandy, BA Clift, RA Lerski, RJ Abboud.
- "Dorsal capsulodesis for scapholunate instability - effect on patient disability and wrist pain". The Journal of Hand Surgery (2006), 31B, 3: 311 - 316. RS Konduru, I Scott, R Mehdi, JA Dent, RJ Abboud, CA Wigderowitz.
- "Ceramic implant arthroplasty of the hallux: early results". Foot & Ankle Surgery (2005), 11, 149 - 153. GE Fadel, SK Reddy, RJ Abboud, AS Jain.
Throughout his career and since his appointment in 1996 as an academic member of staff at the University of Dundee, Professor Abboud has taken a leading role in developing and sustaining successful undergraduate and postgraduate courses and has supervised over 100 Masters research projects. Some of his roles are:
- Director of the Master of Orthopaedic Surgery (MChOrth) Course
- Co-Director of the Master of Motion Analysis
- Co-Director of the Master in Sports Biomechanics and Rehabilitation Technology
- Co-Director of the Master in Orthopaedic Science (accredited by the Royal College of Surgeons of England)
- Co-Director of the Intercalated BMSc Honours Applied Orthopaedic Technology Degree
- Programme Lead for MBChB/MSc joint degree
- Chairman Intercalated Undergraduate BMSc Honours Degree
- Director of Postgraduate Education at MEI
In addition to his role as Chairman of the Intercalated Honours BMSc Degree programme at the College since 2002, Professor Abboud was appointed in 2011 as the Director of Postgraduate Education at MEI overseeing the sustainability and development of Taught Postgraduate Courses at the School of Medicine.