Understanding the role of endothelial dysfunction and arterial stiffness in cardiovascular disease
Vascular & Inflammatory Diseases Research Unit
Division of Molecular & Clinical Medicine
School of Medicine
Ninewells Hospital & Medical School.
+(44) 01382 383531
Professor Faisel Khan obtained his PhD from the University of Dundee and completed postdoctoral training at the University of Boston Medical Centre, before returning to Dundee in 1993. He is currently Professor of Cardiovascular Sciences and Honorary Clinical Scientist with NHS Tayside. He has a multidisciplinary research programme with a major “bench to bedside” focus on translational research that bridges basic science and clinical medicine. A key focus of his research is aimed at understanding the underlying pathways involved in the early development and progression of cardiovascular disease with emphasis on the role of the endothelium and arterial stiffness.
He is the National Delegate for UK for the International Union of Angiology and a Member of the Royal Society of Medicine, Council of Vascular Medicine and Member of the European Society of Vascular Medicine. He serves on the Editorial Boards for VASA, The European Journal of Vascular Medicine, International Angiology and Microcirculation, and is a Member of Chief Scientist Office’s Translational Clinical Studies Research Committee.
Cardiovascular disease begins early in life, well before development of clinical symptoms. A key challenges in cardiovascular medicine is to gain a better understanding of the underlying pathways involved in development of cardiovascular disease. Our research programme focuses on the role of endothelial dysfunction and arterial stiffness, which are central to the early development and progression of cardiovascular disease and atherosclerosis.
A major component of our research involves the use of non-invasive techniques (laser Doppler imaging, laser speckle contrast imaging, ultrasound, pulse wave analysis) for exploring the microcirculation and macrocirculation. These state-of-the-art techniques are being applied to a programme of research that explores basic science signalling pathways through to clinical disease.
- Barma M, Khan F, Price RJ, Donnan PT, Messow CM, Ford I, McConnachie A, Struthers AD, McMurdo ME, Witham MD. Association between GDF-15 levels and changes in vascular and physical function in older patients with hypertension. Aging Clinical and Experimental Research 2016; Oct 12. [Epub ahead of print].
- Weir-McCall J, Cassidy DB, Lambert M, Belch JJF, Gandy SJ, Littleford RC, Struthers AD, Houston G, Khan F. Atherosclerotic burden and cardiac remodelling in healthy South Asian and European adults: A cohort comparison study. British Journal of Radiology 2016; 89: 20160342.
- Gonçalves I, Edsfeldt A, Colhoun HM, Shore AC, Palombo C, Natali A, Fredrikson GN, Björkbacka H, Wigren M, Bengtsson E, Östling G, Aizawa K, Casanova F, Persson M, Gooding K, Strain D, Khan F, Looker HC, Adams F, Belch JJF, Pinnoli S, Venturi E, Kozakova M, Gan LM, Schnecke V, Nilsson J on behalf of the SUMMIT consortium. Association between renin and atherosclerotic burden in subjects with and without type 2 diabetes. BMC Cardiovascular Disorders 2016; 5; 16(1): 171. doi: 10.1186/s12872-016-0346-8.
- Fulton RL, McMurdo ME, Hill A, Abboud RJ, Arnold GP, Struthers AD, Khan F, Vermeer C, Knapen MH, Drummen NE, Witham MD. Effect of vitamin K on vascular health and physical function in older people with vascular disease--A randomised controlled trial. Journal of Nutrition and Health in Aging 2016; 20(3):325-33.
- Weir-McCall JR, White RD, Ramkumar PG, Gandy SJ, Khan F, Belch JJF, Struthers AD, Houston JG. Follow-up of atheroma burden with sequential whole body contrast enhanced MR angiography: A longitudinal cohort study. International Journal of Cardiovascular Imaging 2016 32(5): 825-828.
- Ray S, Belch JJ, Craigie AM, Khan F, Kennedy G, Hill A, Barton KL, Dawe RS, Ibbotson S. Can antioxidant-rich blackcurrant juice drink consumption improve photoprotection against ultraviolet radiation? British Journal of Dermatology 2016; 174: 1101-1103.
- Zhou X, Xia C, Khan F, Corner GA, Huang Z, Hoskins PR. Investigation of ultrasound-measured flow rate and wall shear rate in wrist arteries using flow phantoms. Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology 2016; 42(3): 815-823.
- Fulton R, McMurdo M, Hill A, Abboud R, Arnold G, Struthers AD, Khan F, Vermeer C, Knapen M, Drummen N, Witham M. Effect of vitamin K on vascular health and physical function in older people with vascular disease - a randomised controlled trial. Journal of Nutrition Health and Aging. 2016; 20(3): 325-33.
- Beveridge LA, Struthers AD, Khan F, Jorde R, Scragg R, Macdonald HM, Alvarez JA, Boxer RS, Dalbeni A, Gepner AD, Isbel NM, Larsen T, Nagpal J, Petchey WG, Stricker H, Strobel F, Tangpricha V, Toxqui L, Vaquero MP, Wamberg L, Zittermann A, Witham MD; D-PRESSURE Collaboration. Effect of Vitamin D supplementation on blood pressure: A systematic review and meta-analysis incorporating individual patient data. JAMA Internal Medicine 2015; 175(5): 745-754.
- Goncalves I, Bengtsson E, Colhoun HM, Shore AC, Palombo C, Natali A, Edsfeldt A, Dunér P, Fredrikson GN, Björkbacka H, Östling G, Aizawa K, Casanova F, Persson M, Gooding K, Strain D, Khan F, Looker HC, Adams F, Belch J, Pinnoli S, Venturi E, Kozakova M, Gan LM, Schnecke V, Nilsson J. Elevated plasma levels of MMP-12 are associated with atherosclerotic burden and symptomatic cardiovascular disease in subjects with type 2 diabetes. Arteriosclerosis Thrombosis and Vascular Biology; 2015. ATVBAHA.115.305631. [Epub ahead of print].
- Shore A, Colhoun H, Natali A, Palombo C, Östling G, Aizawa K, Kennbäck C, Casanova F, Persson M, Gooding K, Gates P, Goncalves I, Khan F, Looker H, Adams F, Belch JJF, Pinnola S, Venturi E, Morizzo C, Nilsson J. Measures of atherosclerotic burden are associated with clinically manifest cardiovascular disease in type 2 diabetes: a European cross-sectional study. Journal of Internal Medicine 2015; 278(3): 291-302.
- Akbar N, Nanda S, Belch J, Cohen P and Khan F. An important role for A20-binding inhibitor of nuclear factor-kB-1 (ABIN1) in inflammation-mediated endothelial dysfunction: an in vivo study in ABIN1 (D485N) mice. Arthritis Research & Therapy. 2015;17(1):22 doi: 10.1186/s13075-015-0543-3.
- Witham MD, Adams F, McSwiggan S, Kennedy G, Kabir G, Belch JJF, Khan F. High-dose intermittent vitamin D3 supplementation does not improve markers of vascular function or symptoms in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome - a randomised controlled trial. Nutrition, Metabolism & Cardiovascular Diseases 2015; 25(3): 287-294.
- Akbar N, Sokolovski S, Dunaev A, Belch JJF, Rafailov E, Khan F. In-vivo non-invasive measurement of skin auto-flurorescence biomarkers relate to cardiovascular disease in mice. Journal of Microscopy 2014; 255: 42-48.
- George J, Khan F, Struthers AD. The source of BNP in rheumatoid arthritis. International Journal of Cardiology 2014; 174: 740.
- Weir-McCall JR, Khan F, Lambert MA, et al. Common carotid intima media thickness and ankle-brachial pressure index correlate with local but not global atheroma burden: a cross sectional study using whole body magnetic resonance angiography. PLoS One 2014; 16;9(6): e99190.
- Witham M, Kennedy G, Belch J, Hill A, Khan F. Association between vitamin D status and markers of vascular health in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME). International Journal of Cardiology 2014; 174(1): 139-140.
- Khan F, Ray S, Craigie AM, Kennedy G, Hill A, Barton KL, Broughton J, Belch JJ. Lowering of oxidative stress improves endothelial function in healthy subjects with habitually low intake of fruit and vegetables: A randomized controlled trial of antioxidant- and polyphenol-rich blackcurrant juice. Free Radical Medicine Biology 2014; 72: 232-237.
- George J, Mackle G, Manoharan A, Khan F, Struthers AD. High BNP levels in rheumatoid arthritis are related to inflammation but not to left ventricular abnormalities: a prospective case-control study. International Journal of Cardiology 2014; 172(1): e116-8.
Programme Lead BSc (Hon) Medical Sciences
Programme Co-Lead BMSc Intercalated Degree
Course Lead BMSc (Hon) in Cardiovascular & Diabetes Medicine
Course Lead Level 4 BSc (Hon) Heart & Circulation Physiology
Course Lead Level 4 BSc (Hon) Cardiovascular Pharmacology
Academic Co-Lead PhD Scholarship Programme for Singapore's (A*STAR)-Dundee Partnership
Academic Lead for the Global Mobility Programme between the Management & Science University Malaysia and University of Dundee
External Examiner MSc Medical Ultrasound at Imperial College London
Salvatore Smirni PhD
Xiaowei Zhou PhD
Hala Bagabir PhD
Shaween Talibany PhD
Rania Idris PhD
Fatima Baig MSc
Previous Students (Degree awarded since 2013)
Naveed Akbar PhD
Deirdre Cassidy PhD
Wen Ling Choong MSc
Fiona Adams MSc
Lynne Marie Flynn PhD
Stephen McSwiggan PhD
· 2016 The potential of the new vascular investigations. World Congress of the International Union of Angiology (IUA), Lyon 5-8th October 2016, Lyon.
· 2016 Biophotonics for the assessment of the microcirculation. World Congress of the International Union of Angiology (IUA), Lyon 5-8th October 2016, Lyon.
· 2016 Skin microcirculation and the technique of laser Doppler perfusion imaging for measuring microvascular flow. European Society for Vascular Medicine 2nd Annual Congress, 8-10th May 2016, Rome.
· 2015 Getting to the heart of cardiovascular disease – bench, bed and beyond. PHOQUS Summer School, 8th – 10th September 2015, Edinburgh.
· 2015 Techniques for measuring microcirculatory flow. European Society for Vascular Medicine 1st Annual Congress, 10-12th May 2015, Potsdam, Berlin.
· 2014 Clinical utility of endothelial function testing. World Congress of the International Union of Angiology (IUA), 8th – 13th August, Sydney.
· 2013 Evaluation of in vivo biomarkers of cardiovascular disease risk using photonic techniques. Photonics meets Biology Conference, 30 September - 3 October 2013, Crete, Greece.
· 2013 Skin microvascular function: a useful biomarker of cardiovascular disease risk? 21st EuroChap Congress, International Union of Angiology 28th September – 1st October, Rome.
· 2013 Noninvasive endothelial function testing: research tool or clinical reality? 21st EuroChap Congress, International Union of Angiology 28th September – 1st October, Rome.
Dr Calum Forteath
Dr Hala Balabir
Dr Shaween Al-Talabany
Dr Rania Edris
Mr Salvatore Smirni
Mr Muhammad Hussain