Student FAQ

Where can I meet people when I first arrive?

There are numerous places you can meet new people upon arriving at The University. On the main campus is DUSA (Dundee University Students Association) known as the main hub for socialising at the University of Dundee. Numerous events are available throughout the year, details of which are updated on their website. It’s also an opportunity to find employment whilst studying in bars, restaurants and a swimming pool.
Dundee University Sports’ Union provide students with the opportunity to join one of 43 Affiliated Sport Clubs which range from Archery all the way through to Volleyball. The Sports clubs are also a great way to make new friends, let off some steam and take a break from the stress of academia. 

What if unforeseen circumstances occur preventing me from completing coursework or attending class?

As a medical student your first port of call would be The Medical School Undergraduate Office or the course tutor (supervisor) for any circumstances that can occur which may prevent you from attending class or completing work. Problems which may arise can include family bereavement, illness and difficulties with the law. If your problem is health related, you would be better contacting your GP or the university health service.

If I’m feeling lonely or lost is there someone I can talk to in confidence?

It is not uncommon for students to feel lonely or needing to speak to someone at some point during their university course. This is particularly so for new students living away from home for the first time. There are a number of different people you can contact. Some students opt to discuss matters such as this with their tutor or with one of the Student Support core pastoral team. There is also the option of contacting the counselling service with many staff available to help students. There are also student support groups such as ‘Moody Minds’ who can provide a listening ear. Students may alternatively choose to use groups such as ‘peer support’ where other students are there to give advice having possibly had similar experiences.

What do I do if I’m having problems with my tutor?

For situations such as this your first point of contact would be Student Support. This can be done via any of the team and contact can be made by email, phone-call or face to face. All information provided is on a need to know basis and is not disclosed to anyone a student doesn't want to know.  Another option is to contact the relevant Phase Convenor according to what year you are in.

What if I’m having problems with my flatmates?

If you are living within the residences you should alert the appropriate University Residences Student Support Team immediately if you are experiencing difficulties with flatmates. They can help you discuss issues and provide a mediation service if required. If you are renting privately from a landlord or letting agent and are experiencing problems your first port of call should be the University of Dundee’s Citizens Advice Bureau located on Level 4 of DUSA on Tuesdays between 13:00 and 16:00 (no appointment necessary).

All other support services available can be found at