Associate Dean of Innovation and Medical Education
Clinical Skills Centre
Ninewells Hospital & Medical School
+(44) 01382 383315
Jean Ker is a Professor in Medical Education at the University of Dundee and is the Director of the Clinical Skills Centre. She founded the Scottish Clinical Skills Network in 2000. As part of the Scottish Clinical Skills Strategy she was appointed in 2007 as Clinical Lead in the development of the Scottish Clinical Skills Managed Educational Network ensuring safe educational standards of skills practice across the healthcare professions. She has had the opportunity to work in medical education and primary care development in Bangladesh, Moldova and Latvia on behalf of the World Health Organisation and British Council. She was awarded the University’s ’Innovations in Teaching‘ prize in 2005 for the design, implementation and evaluation of the inter-professional ward simulation exercise and was Innovative Teacher of the Year in 2008. She introduced patient safety tools to the undergraduate medical curriculum and opportunities for rehearsing teamwork. She has developed the Dow Clinical Simulation Suite to enhance transfer of skills in 2011. She is currently involved in developing a transformational model of health care for chronic diseases in Kuwait. She was awarded a national ASME teaching travelling scholarship in 2011.
Her research interests include identifying under performance using simulation, performance assessment using simulation and access to simulation based education and postgraduate clinical skills education using simulation Masters, PhD and Professional Doctorate projects.
- 2011: A Practical Guide for Medical Teachers 4e, Chapter 10 - Clinical skills teaching, Ker J
- 2011: Essential Simulation in Clinical Education, Chapter 14 Simulation in Practice, Ker J
- 2010: ABC of Learning and Teaching in Medicine, Chapter 14 Creating Teaching Materials, Ker J, Hesketh A
- 2010: Cost effective Medical Education, Chapter Cost effective Simulation, Ker J, Hogg G, Maran N
- 2010: A Practical Guide for Medical Teacher, 3rd Ed Editors Dent J, Harden RM, Chapters: Clinical Skills Centre Ker J; Communication Skills Jarvis R, Ker J, Snadden D
- 2010: Understanding Medical Education, Chapter: Simulation in Medical Education, Ker J, Bradley P
- 2010: So You Want to be a Doctor? University of Dundee, McLean M, Ker J
Peer Reviewed Journal Publications
- Patravali N, Ker JS, McKelvie K, Jarvis R, Ambulatory care teaching: structure, realism and contextualization improve student learning, Submitted to The Clinical Teacher November 2011
- Stirling K, Anderson F, Hogg G, Hanslip J, Bryne D, Ker J, Using simulation to support doctors in difficulty, Accepted for publication The Clinical Teacher November 2011
- McLeod R, Mires G, Ker J. The use of the Direct Observation of Procedural Skills (DOPS) assessment tool in the clinical setting - the perceptions of students. Accepted for publication International Journal of Clinical Skills November 2011
- Johnston TJ, Tang B, Alijani A, Steel RJ, Ker J, Nabi G. Laparoscopic surgical skills are significantly improved by the use of a portable laparoscopic simulator: results of a randomised controlled trial. Submitted to Archives of Surgery October 2011
- Hogg G, Ker J. Over the counter clinical skills for pharmacists. The Clinical Teacher 2011;8:109-113.
- Boursicot, Katharine; Etheridge, Luci; Sturrock, Alison; Ker, Jean; Smee, Sydney; Sambandam, Elango. Performance in assessment: Consensus statement and recommendations from the Ottawa Conference. Medical Teacher 2011
- Steed H, Groome M, Rice P, Simpson K, Day A, Ker J. A brief report on perceptions of alcohol and society among Scottish medical students. Alcohol & Alcoholism 2011; doi:10.1093/alcalc/agr139.
- Steed H, Groome M, Rice P, Simpson K, Day A, Ker J. Evaluation of a new core curriculum on alcohol use disorders for undergraduate medical students. Alcohol & Alcoholism 2010 45(4):395-7.
- McLeod RA, Mires, GJ, Ker, JS, Evaluating the educational impact of Direct Observed Procedural Skills (DOPS) on final year medical students. International Journal of Clinical Skills 2010; 3(3): 147-151
- Cantillon P., Stewart B., Haeck K., Bills J., Ker J., Retthans JJ. Simulated patient programme in Europe collegiality or separate development? Med Teacher 2010 32(3) e 106-10
- McKenna D, Wilkinson C, Ker J. (2010) Diagnostic recognition of facial changes associated with chronic conditions: use of an elearning tool to enhance medical student education J Vis Commun Med 33 (2) 55-62
- Ker J. Invited Editorial for Journal of Simulation in Healthcare. Medical Teacher submitted 2010
Jean has developed an integrated clinical skills teaching programme for undergraduate medical education and is currently involved in designing and delivering clinical skills teaching at postgraduate level and for CPD.
- 2011: NES NHS Scotland Event Conference August 2011. Poster presentation. Prescribing on the Ward – an exercise in practical prescribing. McEwan T, Corner D, Ker J
- 2011: Abstract for IHSE CME. Defining feedback from the medical student’s perspective. Exploring students’ experiences from three Scottish medical schools. Urquhart L, Rees C, Ker J
- 2011: Abstract for ASME July 2011. Safe prescribing for Junior Doctors: Educational Implications from Research. What are your views?
- 2011: Abstract. Junior doctors’ knowledge, experience and attitudes towards prescribing errors. The PROTECT (PRescribing Outcomes for Trainee doctors Engaged in Clinical Training) study
- 2011: Abstract for EACPT (submitted). The Prevalence of Prescribing Errors Amongst Junior Doctors in Scotland. Ryan C, Davey P, Francis J, Johnston M, Ker J, Lee AJ, MacLeod MJ, Maxwell S, McKay G, McLay J, Ross S, Webb D, Bond C.
- 2011: Abstract New Educational Developments. Development of Clinical Skills Resources for Multi-Professional National Use. Andrea Baker, Jeanette Stevenson, Lisi Gordon, Jerry Morse, Anna O’Neill,Janet Skinner, Jean Ker
- 2011: Abstract. What’s new in e-learning at CS MEN? Andrea Baker, Jeanette Stevenson, Jerry Morse, Anna O’Neill, Janet Skinner, Jean Ker1 Jon McCormack, Ron Keenan, Andrew Renwick, Mark Vella, Graham Nimmo, Chris Ronayne, Sandra Sharp, Irene Lavery
- 2011: 4th International Clinical Skills Conference Abstract Development of a National e-Learning Resource for Safe Communication. A Baker, JK Stevenson, C Jackson, J Ker Monash Prato Centre, Prato, Italy May 2011
- 2010: IHI Open School – Dundee Chapter video
- 2010: Society for Simulation in Health Care Phoenix. The ward simulation exercise Stirling K, Ker J.
- 2010: Joint Medical School/NHS Tayside Annual Education Conference Abstract: Final Year Student Performance in a Ward Simulation Exercise – Readiness for Practice? Stirling K, Shaw J, Mires GJ, Ker J
- 2010: Joint Medical School/NHS Tayside Annual Education Conference Abstract: How Do Students Perform in a Final Year Ward Simulation Exercise? Shaw J, Cachia M, Ker J, Mires GJ
- 2010: Joint Medical School/NHS Tayside Annual Education Conference Workshop: Reflection – what’s in a name? Muir, F Ker JS
- 2010: AMEE Glasgow Abstract: Chest drains. Skinner J, Garvie F, Morse J, Ker J, Stevenson J
- 2010: AMEE Glasgow Abstract: International survey of standardised patients: who they are, what they do, and how they experience their work. Abe K, Evans P, Cleland J, Barton P, Ker J, Suzuki Y
- 2010: SCSN Annual Conference Dundee : The development of a quality assurance toolkit for remote and rural education. Gordon L, Fraser F, Nicol P, Ker J
- 2010: SCSN Annual Conference Dundee : Development of clinical skills packs for multi-professional national use. Baker A, Stevenson J, Gordon L, Morse J, O’Neil A, Skinner J, Ker J
- 2010: ASME Annual Scientific Meeting Cambridge 21-23 July 2010. Establishing if a relationship exists between medical students’ reflective ability and understanding of patient safety. Ambrose L, Ker JS
- 2010: 1st European Simulation Conference RCOG London. Generic skills simulation model to combat swine flu in the department of Obstetrics & Gynaecology. Patravali N, Owen L, Schembri N, Orakwue O, Ker J
- 2010: HEA Annual Conference. The Ward Simulation Exercise. Shaw J, Ker J
- 2010: ASME Student Performance in the WSE. Shaw J, Ker J
- 2010: AMEE Tutor vs Self Assessment. Shaw J, Ker J
- 2010: NHS Scotland Abstract Can one size fit all? Developing instructors ‘teaching skills for pandemic flu’. Tully V, Owen L, Ker J.