Deputy Head of Molecular & Clinical Medicine Division, Professor of Cardiology
Defining novel therapeutics, diagnostics and approaches in the management of patients with cardio-metabolic disease
Division of Molecular & Clinical Medicine
School of Medicine
Ninewells Hospital and Medical School
Dundee DD1 9SY
+(44) 01382 383013
Professor Lang is a consultant cardiologist and clinical pharmacologist and Professor of Cardiology at Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, Dundee, United Kingdom. He trained in both cardiology and clinical pharmacology in the United Kingdom and in the United States where he was a Merck International Fellow in Clinical Pharmacology at Vanderbilt University, Nashville and a Fulbright Scholar at Columbia University, New York. He is a Fellow of the Royal Colleges of Physicians of London and Edinburgh and the American College of Cardiology.
His research takes a multi-disciplinary approach to the understanding of the pathophysiology and pharmacogenetics of cardiovascular diseases and to the development of treatment strategies in patients with cardiovascular diseases. He leads an integrated cardiovascular research laboratory dedicated and equipped to the study of cardiac and vasomotor regulation. These techniques are applied towards translational research and in the development of biomarkers and novel treatment strategies in patients with cardiovascular diseases. Prof Lang is the Work Package Lead for the validation cohort for the FP-7 funded BIOSTAT-CHF study that aims optimize the treatment of heart failure for each individual using information from genomics and proteomics. A wide range of funding bodies including the British Heart Foundation, MRC, Chief Scientist Office, Chest Heart and Stroke Scotland, Tenovus and the European commission Seventh Framework Programme (FP-7) funds his research.
- Rajendra NS, Ireland S, George J, Belch JJF, Lang CC, Struthers AD. Mechanistic insights into the therapeutic use of high dose allopurinol in angina pectoris. J Am Coll Cardiol 2011;58: 820-8.
- MA Nadir; DH Elder; Li Wei; R Libianto,TK Lim, M Pauriah, SD Pringle, AD Doney; AM Choy; AD Struthers; CC Lang. Impact of Renin-Angiotensin System Blockade Therapy on Outcome in Aortic Stenosis. J Am Coll Cardiol 2011 Aug 2;58(6):570-6.
- JGF Cleland, JR Teerlink, R Senior, EM Nifontov, JJV Mc Murray, CC Lang, et al. The Effects of the Cardiac Myosin Activator, Omecamtiv Mecarbil,on Cardiac Function in Patients with Heart Failure. Lancet 2011; 378: 676-683.
- Kao MP, Ang DS, Gandy SJ, Nadir MA, Houston JG, Lang CC, Struthers AD. Allopurinol benefits left ventricular mass and endothelial dysfunction in chronic kidney disease. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2011 Jul;22(7):1382-9.
- Elder DH, Li Wei, BR Szwejkowski, R Libianto, A Nadir, M Pauriah, S Rekraj, TK Lim, J George, A Doney, SD Pringle, AM Choy, AD Struthers, CC Lang. The Impact of Renin Angiotensin Aldosterone System Blockade on Heart Failure Outcome and Mortality in Patients identified to have Aortic Regurgitation: A Large Population Cohort Study. J Am Coll Cardiol 2011;58(20):2084-91.
- BR. Szwejkowski, DHJ Elder, AMJ Choy, SD Pringle, AD Struthers, CC Lang. Pulmonary Hypertension Predicts All-Cause Mortality in Patients with Left Ventricular Systolic Dysfunction. Eur J Heart Fail 2012 Feb;14(2):162-7.
- AKF. Wong, R. Symon, MA AlZadjali, DSC Ang, S Ogston, AM Choy, JR Petrie, AD Struthers, CC Lang. The Effect of Metformin on Insulin Resistance and Exercise Parameters in Patients with Heart Failure. Eur J Heart Fail 2012 Nov;14(11):1303-10
- S Rekhraj, S Gandy, B Szwejkowski, M Nadir, A Noman, JG Houston, CC Lang, J George, A Struthers. High dose allopurinol reduces left ventricular mass in patients with ischemic heart disease. J Am Coll Cardiol 2013 Mar 5;61(9):926-32.
- Nadir MA, Dow E, Davidson J, Kennedy N, Lang CC, Struthers AD. Myocardial ischaemia is associated with an elevated brain natriuretic pepide level even in the presence of left ventricular systolic dysfunction. Eur J Heart Fail. 2013 Jul 30
- Szwejkowski BR, Gandy SJ, Rekhraj S, Houston JG, Lang CC, Morris AD, George J, Struthers AD. Allopurinol Reduces Left Ventricular Mass In Patients With Type 2 Diabetes And Left Ventricular Hypertrophy. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2013 Aug 15. doi:pii: S0735-1097(13)03888-6. 10.1016/j.jacc.2013.07.074
- CWL Chin, Anoop SV Shah, DA McAllister, S Joanna Cowell, Shirjel Alam, Jeremy P Langrish, Fiona Strachan, A Hunter,AM Choy,CC Lang,S Walker, NA Boon, DE Newby, NL Mills, MR Dweck. High-sensitivity Troponin I concentrations are a marker of an advanced hypertrophic response and adverse outcomes in patients with aortic stenosis. European Heart Journal 2014 May 14. pii: ehu189
- Singh S, Beadle R, Cameron D, Rudd A, Bruce M, Jagpal B, Schwarz K, Brindley G, Mckiddie F, Nightingale P, Lang C, Dawson D, Frenneaux M. Randomized double-blind placebo-controlled trial of perhexiline in heart failure with preserved ejection fraction syndrome. Future Cardiol. 2014 Nov;10(6):693-8
- Nadir MA, Gandy S, Ireland S, MacDonald T, Dow E, Houston G, Lang C, Struthers A. An Increased B-Type Natriuretic Peptide in the Absence of a Cardiac Abnormality Identifies Those Whose Left Ventricular Mass Will Increase Over Time. JACC Heart Fail. 2015 Jan;3(1):87-93. doi: 10.1016/j.jchf.2014.07.012. Epub 2014 Nov 11.
- McMurray JJ, Packer M, Desai AS, Gong J, Lefkowitz MP, Rizkala AR, Rouleau JL, Shi VC, Solomon SD, Swedberg K, Zile MR; PARADIGM-HF Investigators and Committees. Angiotensin-neprilysin inhibition versus enalapril in heart failure. N Engl J Med. 2014 Sep 11;371(11):993-1004. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa1409077. Epub 2014 Aug 30.
- Kalra PR, García-Moll X, Zamorano J, Kalra PA, Fox KM, Ford I, Ferrari R, Tardif JC, Tendera M, Greenlaw N, Steg PG; CLARIFY Investigators. mpact of chronic kidney disease on use of evidence-based therapy in stable coronary artery disease: a prospective analysis of 22,272 patients. PLoS One. 2014 Jul 22;9(7):e102335. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0102335. eCollection 2014
- Goudie A, Elder D, Deshmukh H, Szwejkowski BR, Lang CC, George J. Effect of warfarin on survival in patients with concomitant left ventricular systolic dysfunction and pulmonary hypertension: a population cohort study. Eur J Heart Fail. 2014 Nov 27. doi: 10.1002/ejhf.199. [Epub ahead of print]
- Leong DP, Smyth A, Teo KK, McKee M, Rangarajan S, Pais P, Liu L, Anand SS, Yusuf S; INTERHEART Investigators. Patterns of alcohol consumption and myocardial infarction risk: observations from 52 countries in the INTERHEART case-control study. Circulation. 2014 Jul 29;130(5):390-8. doi: 10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.113.007627. Epub 2014 Jun 13.
- Parry HM, Desmukh H, Levin D, Van Zuydam N, Elder DH, Morris AD, Struthers AD, Palmer CN, Doney AS, Lang CC. Both High and Low HbA1c Predict Incident Heart Failure in Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus. Circ Heart Fail. 2015 Jan 5. pii: CIRCHEARTFAILURE.113.000920. [Epub ahead of print]
- Voors AA, Anker SD, Cleland JG, Dickstein K, Filippatos G, van der Harst P, Hillege HL, Lang CC, Ter Maaten JM, Ng L, Ponikowski P, Samani NJ, van Veldhuisen DJ, Zannad F, Zwinderman AH, Metra M. A systems BIOlogy Study to TAilored Treatment in Chronic Heart Failure: rationale, design, and baseline characteristics of BIOSTAT-CHF. Eur J Heart Fail. 2016 Apr 29
- Cameron AR, Morrison VL, Levin D, Mohan M, Forteath C, Beall C, McNeilly AD, Balfour DJ, Savinko T, Wong AK, Viollet B, Sakamoto K, Fagerholm SC, Foretz M, Lang CC, Rena G. Anti-Inflammatory Effects of Metformin Irrespective of Diabetes Status. Circ Res. 2016 Aug 19;119(5):652-65. BEST MANUSCRIPT OF THE YEAR
- Eyre V, Lang CC, Smith K, Jolly K, Davis R, Hayward C, Wingham J, Abraham C, Green C, Warren FC, Britten N, Greaves CJ, Doherty P, Austin J, Van Lingen R, Singh S, Buckingham S, Paul K, Taylor RS, Dalal HM; REACH-HF investigators.. Rehabilitation Enablement in Chronic Heart Failure-a facilitated self-care rehabilitation intervention in patients with heart failure with preserved ejection fraction (REACH-HFpEF) and their caregivers: rationale and protocol for a single-centre pilot randomised controlled trial. BMJ Open. 2016 Oct 25;6(10):e012853.
- Singh JS, Fathi A, Vickneson K, Mordi I, Mohan M, Houston JG, Pearson ER, Struthers AD, Lang CC. Research into the effect Of SGLT2 inhibition on left ventricular remodelling in patients with heart failure and diabetes mellitus (REFORM) trial rationale and design. Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2016 Jul 15;15:97. doi: 10.1186/s12933-016-0419-0.
- Singh A, Greenwood J.P, Berry C, Dawson D.K, Hogrefe K, Kelly D, Dhakshimamurthy, Lang C.C, Khoo J.P, Sprigings D, Steeds R.P, Jerosch-Herold M, Neubauer S, Prendergast B, Williams B, Zhang R, Squire I.B.1, Ford, Samani N.J, McCann G.P. Comparison of exercise testing and CMR measured myocardial perfusion reserve for predicting outcome in asymptomatic aortic stenosis: the PRognostic Importance of MIcrovascular Dysfunction in Aortic Stenosis (PRIMID-AS) study. Eur Heart J (accepted: in press)
- W. Ouwerkerk , A.A. Voors, S.D. Anker,, J.G. Cleland,, K. Dickstein, G. Filippatos,, P. van der Harst, H.L. Hillege, C.C. Lang, MD (8), J.M. ter Maaten, L.L. Ng, P. Ponikowski, N.J Samani, D.J. van Veldhuisen, F. Zannad, M. Metra, A.H. Zwinderman. Determinants and clinical outcome of uptitration of ACE-inhibitor and beta-blocker in patients with heart failure: a prospective European study. Eur Heart J (accepted: in press)
- Mahmoudpour SH, Veluchamy A, Siddiqui MK, Asselbergs FW, Souverein PC, de Keyser CE, Hofman A, Lang CC, Doney AS, Stricker BH, de Boer A, Maitland-van der Zee AH, Palmer CN; on behalf of the PREDICTION-ADR consortium. Meta-analysis of genome-wide association studies on the intolerance of angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors. Pharmacogenetics and Genomics 2016 Dec 26. doi: 10.1097
Full contribution to teaching in Dundee, especially cardiology and clinical pharmacology.
Member of Undergraduate Medical School Assessment Committee.
External undergraduate examinerships (National University of Singapore, University of Malaya, International Medical University, Malaysia, National University of Malaysia, Hong Kong University).
Supervisor of 16 MD/PhDs.
External examiner for MD (Universities of Birmingham, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Hull, Monash University)
- Dr Rahmatina Herman (PhD 2002, University of Malaya
- Ms Pang Yek Sze (MSc 2002, University of Malaya)
- Ms SK Jamal (MMsc 2002, University of Malaya)
- Dr Wong Li Ping (PhD 2004, University of Malaya)
- Dr Amudha Kadirvelu (PhD 2004, University of Malaya)
- Ms SL Chan (AMS 2006, University of Melbourne)
- Dr Matlooba Alzadjali ( PhD 2009, University of Dundee)
- Mr Henry Su (AMS 2009, University of Melbourne)
- Dr Donald Ang (MD, 2010, University of Dundee)
- Ms Linda O’Neil (MSc 2010, University of Brighton)
- Dr Aaron Wong (MD 2013, University of Dundee)
- Ms Renata Libianto (AMS 2010, University of Melbourne)
- Dr Douglas H Elder (MD 2013, University of Dundee)
- Dr Adnan Nadir (MD 2013, University of Dundee)
- Dr Sushma Rekraj (MD, University of Dundee)
- Dr Alan Robertson (MD current, University of Dundee)
- Dr Michelle Kao (MD 2013), University of Dundee
- Dr Maheshwar Pauriah (MD current, University of Dundee)
- Mr Mathew McArtney (BMSc 2011, University of Dundee)
- Dr Sandro Vello (PhD current, University of Dundee)
- Dr Helen Parry (MD 2015, University of Dundee)
- Mr Mohanpradeep Mohan (PhD current, University of Dundee)
- Ms Fatima Baig (MSc, current University of Dundee)
- Mr Sean Hawkey (DCAT Summer Vacation 2015 Project, University of Dundee)
- Mr Bayan Soujeri (MSc current, University of Dundee)
- Ms Shaween al-Talabany (PhD current, University of Dundee
- Dr Hala Abubaker Bagabir (PhD current, University of Dundee)
- Dr Jagdeep Singh (MD current, University of Dundee)
- Ms Rachel MacIntyre, (BMSc current, University of Dundee)
- Ms Katie MacKay (BMSc current, University of Dundee)
- Dr Natalie Mordi (MD current, University of Dundee)
- Dr Amudha Kadirvelu (PhD student, 2004) , Associate Professor Amudha Kadirvelu, Jeffrey Cheah School of Medicine and Health Sciences, Monash University Malaysia
- Dr Rahmatina Herman (PhD student 2002), Professor at Faculty of Medicine Andalas University Padang Area, West Sumatera, Indonesi
- Dr Matlooba Alzadjali (PhD student 2009), Senior Consultant in Public Health (Cardiology), Ministry of Health, Oman
- Dr Lim Tiong Keng, Consultant Cardiologist, National Heart Centre, Singapore
- Dr Dougie Elder, Consultant Cardiologist, Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, Dundee
- Dr Adnan Nadir, Interventional Fellow, Mount Sinai Hospital, New York
H-index: 41 (Scopus); 46 (Google Scholar)
Impact of Research:
· In the REF 2014, Dundee put forward two impact cases from Professor Struthers and myself on our research on BNP (http://impact.ref.ac.uk/CaseStudies/CaseStudy.aspx?Id=35839) and Spironolactone (http://impact.ref.ac.uk/CaseStudies/CaseStudy.aspx?Id=35840).
· Both impact cases were scored at the highest level of 4-star and helped the University of Dundee to be ranked first in the UK for ‘impact’ in Clinical Medicine.
· My research on the use of ACE inhibitors in aortic valvular disease was used as supporting evidence for the treatment recommendation for the use of ACE inhibitors in patients with aortic valvular heart disease in the 2014 American Heart Association /American College of Cardiology Guidelines for the Management of Patients With Valvular Heart Disease.