Asthma & Allergy Research Group, Mailbox 2, Medical Research Institute, Division of Cardiovascular & Diabetes Medicine
Ninewells Hospital & Medical School
+(44) 01382 632983
Initial BMedSCi at St Andrews, followed by MBChB with honours and MD at Manchester University, from 1986 registrar and senior registrar posts in Respiratory Medicine and Clinical Pharmacology in Dundee, followed by senior lecturer and professorial appointments.
Awarded two prizes for research from the British Pharmacological Society, International Fellow of the American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology 2003 for contributions to airway allergy research, and International Visiting Professorship to Harvard Medical School in 2008.
Current research interests are beta-adrenoceptor regulation and associated pharmacogenetics in asthma and COPD, airway inflammation in asthma, therapeutics of allergic rhinosinusitis.
Current H index = 52. Member of MRC peer review college and NIHR college of Experts.
- VAIDYANATHAN S, BARNES M, WILLIAMSON P, HOPKINSON P, DONNAN P, LIPWORTH B. Treatment of chronic rhinosinusitis with nasal polyposis with oral steroids followed by topical steroid: a randomized trial. Ann Intern Med 2011;154:293-302 (Rank 4/153, Impact Factor 16.729, Medicine, General and Internal)
- SHORT P, LIPWORTH S, ELDER D, SCHEMBRI S, LIPWORTH BJ. Effect of beta-blockers in treatment of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease – a retrospective cohort study. Br Med J 2011;342:d2549 (Rank 6/153, Impact Factor 13.471, Medicine, General and Internal)
- VAIDYANATHAN S, WILLIAMSON P, CLEARIE K, MORRISON A, LIPWORTH B. Nasal AMP and histamine challenge within and outside the pollen season in seasonal allergic rhinitis. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2011; 127:173-178 (Rank 1/22 Impact Factor 9.273, Allergy) VAIDYANATHAN S, WILLIAMSON P, CLEARIE K, KHAN F, LIPWORTH BJ. Fluticasone reverses oxymetazoline induced tachyphylaxis of response and rebound congestion. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2010;182:19-24 (Rank 1/46, Impact Factor 10.191, Respiratory System)
- SHORT P, WILLIAMSON P, ELDER D, LIPWORTH S, SCHEMBRI S, LIPWORTH B. The impact of tiotropium on mortality and exacerbations when added to inhaled corticosteroids and long acting beta-agonist therapy in COPD. Chest 2011, doi:10.1378/chest.11-0038 (Rank 3/46, Impact Factor 6.519, Respiratory System)
- LIPWORTH BJ, SHORT PM, WILLIAMSON PA, CLEARIE KL, FARDON TC, JACKSON CM. A randomized primary care trial of Steroid Titration Against Mannitol IN persistent Asthma (STAMINA Trial). Chest 2011; doi 10.1378/chest.11-1748 (Rank 3/46, Impact Factor 6.519, Respiratory System)
- CLEARIE K, McKINLAY L, WILIAMSON P, LIPWORTH BJ. Fluticasone/Salmeterol combination confers benefits in smoking asthmatics. Chest 2011; doi:10.1378/chest.11-0392 (Rank 3/46, Impact Factor 6.519, Respiratory System)
- NAIR A, VAIDYANATHAN S, CLEARIE K, WILLIAMSON P, MELDRUM K, LIPWORTH BJ. Steroid sparing effects of intranasal corticosteroids in asthma and allergic rhinitis. Allergy 2010;65:359-367 (Rank 2/22, Impact Factor 6.297, Allergy)
- CLEARIE, K, VAIDYANATHAN S, WILLIAMSON P, GOUDIE A, SHORT P, SCHEMBRI S, LIPWORTH BJ. Effects of chlorine and exercise on the unified airway in adolescent elite Scottish swimmers. Allergy 2010;65:269-273 (Rank 2/22, Impact Factor 6.297, Allergy)
- WILLIAMSON P, SHORT P, CLEARIE K, VAIDYANATHAN S, FARDON TC, HOWANIEC L, LIPWORTH BJ. Paradoxical trough effects of ‘triple therapy’ with budesonide/formoterol and tiotropium bromide on pulmonary function outcomes in COPD. Chest 2010; 138: 595-604 (Rank 3/46, Impact Factor 6.519, Respiratory System)
Phase 2 respiratory system coordinator.
- John Hopkins Asthma & Allergy Centre, Baltimore: Grand Rounds - State of Science: Emerging Issues in role of anti-leukotrienes in asthma (2008).
- European Respiratory Society Vienna (2009) Can beta-blockers be useful to treat asthma?
- Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York,USA : Grand Rounds - Role of the distal lung in asthma (2009).
- Western Society Of Allergy, Asthma and Immuonology, Lanai, Hawaii (2010): Invited international plenary speaker Beta-agonists and their antagonists in asthma treatment.
- Think the Impossible: Beta-blockers for the treatment of asthma. The Sylvia and Thomas Bodamer Lecture in Allergy and Immunology. Scripps Clinic, Carmel Valley, California (2010)
- Los Angeles Allergy Society. Plenary lecture - Treating inflammation in the large and small airways (2010)
- John Hopkins Asthma & Allergy Centre, Baltimore. Grand Rounds - Strategies for improving anti-inflammatory therapy in asthma (2011)