Head of Division, Professor of Population Science
Understanding the causes and best management of chronic pain
Kirsty Semple Way
Ninewells Hospital and Medical School
+(44) 01382 383728
Blair is an academic general practitioner, currently also practising clinically as a Consultant in Pain Medicine, Ninewells Hospital. Graduating at the Universities of Glasgow (MBChB, 1987) and Aberdeen (MEd Distinction 1998; MD 2000), he held an NHS Primary Care Career Scientist Award (2000 to 2005) and was Professor Primary Care Medicine at the University of Aberdeen until 2011.
His research on chronic pain and neuropathic pain has been published widely, specifically studying the epidemiology, primary care management and self-management. He is a Chief Investigator on Generation Scotland, a major programme for studying genetics and health, with over 30,000 volunteer participants. He is now actively exploring the opportunities that this and other collaborations bring to researching the biological mechanisms of chronic pain, from the laboratory to the community. He has established the Chronic Pain Research Group at the University of Dundee, based in the Division of Population Health Sciences.
He is Vice Chair of the International Association for the Study of Pain Neuropathic Pain Special Interest Group (NeuPSIG). He was formerly Treasurer of the Society for Academic Primary Care, and sat on the Editorial Board of the British Journal of General Practice, both from 1997 to 2007. He chaired the NHS Scotland / SGHD Chronic Pain Steering Group until June 2011, and still chairs its Research Subgroup and the Scottish Pain Research Community (SPaRC). He was appointed to his current post in August 2011.
Blair was appointed on 1 May 2014 to the post of Lead Clinician for Chronic Pain working with the Scottish Government. He was also appointed in 2014 to the board of the Faculty of Pain Medicine of the Royal College of Anaesthetists.
Current and recent research grants
University of Oxford, Imperial College, University of Dundee (Smith BH), Aarhus Universitet, INSERM, Christian-Albrechs-Universitaet zu Kiel, Lunds Universitet, RamBam Healthcare Campus, Universiteit Gent, Neuroscience Technologies.
DOLORisk: Understanding risk factors and determinants for neuropathic pain
EU Horizon 2020-PHC1-2014. Understanding health, aging and disease: determinants, risk factors and pathways.
€6,000,000 (Dundee share €531,000) 1.7.15 – 30.6.19
Smith BH, Meng W, Hocking LJ.
“Meta-analysis of GWAS for chronic pain grade across GS:SFHS & 23andMe.”
£84,600 1.11.14 – 31.5.14
Cooper K, Smith BH, Schofield P, Klein S.
Peer support for community dwelling older adults to facilitate self care of chronic low back pain.
Dunhill Medical Trust
£80,156 1.1.14 – 31.12.15
Smith BH, Colvin L, Gilbert S, Macfarlane GJ, Serpell MG, Baldacchino A, Hales TG, Donnan PT.
Use and misuse of opioid prescribing across Scotland – rates, quality, variations and explanations
Scottish Government Health Department, Chief Scientist Office
£145,055 1.6.13 – 31.1.15
Smith BH, Rice A, Torrance N.
Neuropathic pain in primary care: epidemiology, healthcare use and potential research participants
The Dunhill Medical Trust
£43,467 1.6.13 – 31.5.14
Baldacchino A, Kidd B, Matthews B, Smith BH, Donnan PT.
Alcohol dependence and acamprosate adherence in Scotland. A retrospective and opportunistic study.
£73,470 1.11.12 – 31.5.13
Hales TG, Smith BH.
Examining the role of 5-HT3 receptors in the development of morphine tolerance
Tenovus Scotland (PhD Studentship)
£60,000 1.1.12 – 31.12.14
Smith BH, Torrance N, Bennett MI, Serpell MG, Croft PR.
The epidemiology of refractory neuropathic pain
Pfizer UK (unrestricted educational grant)
£225,000 1.1.10 – 31.7.13
Dominiczak A, Morris AD, Porteous D, Smith BH, on behalf of Generation Scotland
Generation Scotland Core Funding: Scotland-wide care, maintenance, development and knowledge transfer in biobanking for research on health and disease
Scottish Government Health Department, Chief Scientist Office
£522,060 1.4.11 – 31.3.14
Smith BH, Schofield P, Clarke A, McNamee P, Martin D, Jones D.
Engaging with Older People to Develop and Deliver Interventions for the Self-management of Chronic Pain (EPIC).
Medical Research Council (Strategic Grant, Lifelong Health and Well-being)
£1,236,746 1.2.10 – 31.8.14
Bond CM, Elliott AM, Hannaford P, Holland R, Mcnamee P, Smith BH, Watson MC, Wright D.
Developing a RCT of general practice-based, pharmacist-led, management of chronic pain.
Medical Research Council
£421,405 1.8.08 – 31.7.11
Morris AD, Smith BH, Dominiczak A, Porteous D (on behalf of Generation Scotland Scientific Group).
Completing the Generation Scotland Family Cohort: a Unique Nationwide Resource for Scottish Science.
Scottish Government Health Department, Chief Scientist Office
£3,810,000 1.4.08 – 31.3.11
Dominiczak A, Blackwood D, Brown A, Kolch W, Langridge-Smith P, Morris AD, Palmer C, Pitt A, Porteous D, Reid D, Smith BH.
Biomarkers for Battling Chronic Diseases
Scottish Funding Council, Strategic Research Development Grant
£2,000,000 1.9.07 – 31.8.12
- Wessel J et al (206 authors, Smith BH 178th author). Low-frequency and rare exome chip variants associate with fasting glucose and type 2 diabetes susceptibility. Nature Communications (in press).
- Cameron PA, Smith BH, Schofield P. Health Care Professionals' Accounts of Chronic Pain Management for Older Adults. Journal of Pain and Rehabilitation (in press).
- Ryan CG, Wilson G, Dismore L, Schofield P, Holey L, Harland N, Smith BH, Jones D, Clarke A, McNamee P, Martin DJ. FLO’s Story: the development of a Facebook Learning Object for health and social care students about persistent pain in older people. Pain and Rehabilitation (in press).
- Kamerman PR, Wadley AL, Davis K, Hietaharju A, Jain P, Kopf A, Meyer A-C, Raja S, Rice ASC, Smith BH, Treede R-D, Wiffen PJ. WHO essential medicines lists: where are the drugs to treat neuropathic pain? Pain (in press).
- Clarke T-K et al (23 authors). Common polygenic risk for Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) is associated with cognitive ability in the general population. Molecular Psychiatry (in press).
- Smith BH. My Personal Diagnostic Delay. “Physician, prevent thyself.” [Essay]. British Journal of General Practice (in press).
- Gilbert S, Holdsworth LK, Smith BH, Gunn G. The Scottish Model for Chronic Pain Management Services. British Journal of Healthcare Management (in press).
- Finnerup NB, Attal N, Haroutounian S, McNicol E, Baron R, Dworkin RH, Gilron I, Haanpaa M, Hansson P, Jensen TS, Kamerman PR, Lund K, Moore A, Raja SN, Rice ASC, Rowbotham M, Sena E, Siddall P, Smith BH, Wallace M. Pharmacotherapy for neuropathic pain in adults: systematic review, meta-analysis and NeuPSIG recommendations. Lancet Neurology 2015 (EPub) doi: 10.1016/S1474-4422(14)70251-0
- Fitzgerald TW et al (265 authors, Smith BH 217th author). Large-scale discovery of novel genetic causes of developmental disorders. Nature 2014 doi:10.1038/nature14135 http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nature14135.html#contrib-auth
- Macfarlane GJ, Beasley M, Jones G, Smith BH, Macfarlane T. Can surveys which are large but conducted on highly selected populations, provide valid information on the descriptive epidemiology and associations of common health conditions? An analysis of UK Biobank data on pain. British Journal of Pain 2015 1-10 doi 10.1177/2049463715569806.
- Treede R-D, Rief W, Barke A, Aziz Q, Bennett M, Benoliel R, Cohen M, Evers S, Finnerup NB, First M, Giamberdino MA, Kaasa S, Kosek E, Lavand’homme P, Nicholas M, Perrot S, Scholz J, Schug S, Smith BH, Svensson P, Vlaeyen JWS, Wang S-J. A classification of chronic pain for ICD-11 [Topical Review]. Pain (in press)
- King D, Jones W, Crow Y, Dominiczak A, Foster N, Gaunt T, Harris, J, Hellens S, Homfray T, Innes J, Jones E, Joss S, Kulkarni A, Mansour S, Morris AM, Porteous DJ, Shahib H, Smith BH, Tatton-Brown K, Tolmie J, Trzasowski M, Vasudevan P, Wakeling E, Wright M, Plomin R, Timpson N, Hurles M, the Deciphering Developmental Disorders Study. Mosaic structural variation in children with developmental disorders. Human Molecular Genetics (in press).
- Taylor AE et al (64 authors, Smith BH 59th author). Stratification by smoking status reveals a direct association of CHRNA5-A3-B4 genotype with body mass index in never smokers. PLoS Genetics 2014 10 :e1004799. doi: 10.1371/journal.pgen.1004799.
- van Hecke, O, Torrance, N, Cochrane, L, Cavanagh, J, Donnan, PT, Padmanabhan, S, Porteous, DJ, Hocking, L & Smith, BH 2014, 'Does a history of depression actually mediate smoking-related pain?: findings from a cross-sectional general population-based study' European Journal of Pain, vol 18, no. 9, pp. 1223-1230.
- Torrance, N, Lawson, KD, Afolabi, E, Bennett, MI, Serpell, MG, Dunn, KM & Smith, BH 2014, 'Estimating the burden of disease in chronic pain with and without neuropathic characteristics: does the choice between the EQ-5D and SF-6D matter?' PAIN, vol 155, no. 10, pp. 1996-2004.
- Rietveld, CA, Esko, T, Davies, G, Pers, TH, Turley, P, Benyamin, B, Chabris, CF, Emilsson, V, Johnson, AD, Lee, JJ,Leeuw, CD, Marioni, RE, Medland, SE, Miller, MB, Rostapshova, O, van der Lee, SJ, Vinkhuyzen, AAE, Amin, N, Conley, D, Derringer, J, van Duijn, CM, Fehrmann, R, Franke, L, Glaeser, EL, Hansell, NK, Hayward, C, Iacono, WG, Ibrahim- Verbaas, C, Jaddoe, V, Karjalainen, J, Laibson, D, Lichtenstein, P, Liewald, DC, Magnusson, PKE, Martin, NG, McGue, M, McMahon, G, Pedersen, NL, Pinker, S, Porteous, DJ, Posthuma, D, Rivadeneira, F, Smith, BH, Starr, JM, Tiemeier,H, Timpson, NJ, Trzaskowski, M, Uitterlinden, AG, Verhulst, FC, Ward, ME, Wright, MJ, Davey Smith, G, Deary, IJ, Johannesson, M, Plomin, R, Visscher, PM, Benjamin, DJ, Cesarini, D & Koellinger, PD 2014, 'Common genetic variants associated with cognitive performance identified using the proxy-phenotype method' Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol 111, no. 38, pp. 13790-13794.
- Clarke, A, Martin, D, Jones, D, Schofield, P, Anthony, G, McNamee, P, Gray, D & Smith, BH 2014, '"I try and smile, I try and be cheery, I try not to be pushy. I try to say 'I'm here for help' but I leave feeling… worried": a qualitative study of perceptions of interactions with health professionals by community-based older adults with chronic pain' PLoS ONE, vol 9, no. 9, e105450.
- van Hecke, O, Austin, SK, Khan, RA, Smith, BH & Torrance, N 2014, 'Corrigendum to "Neuropathic pain in the general population: a systematic review of epidemiological studies": [PAIN® 155(4) pp. 654-662 (2014)] (DOI:10.1016/j.pain.2013.11.013)' PAIN, vol 155, no. 9, pp. 1907.
- Loth, DW, Artigas, MS, Gharib, SA, Wain, LV, Franceschini, N, Koch, B, Pottinger, TD, Smith, AV, Duan, Q, Oldmeadow, C, Lee, MK, Strachan, DP, James, AL, Huffman, JE, Vitart, V, Ramasamy, A, Wareham, NJ, Kaprio, J, Wang, X-Q, Trochet, H, Kähönen, M, Flexeder, C, Albrecht, E, Lopez, LM, de Jong, K, Thyagarajan, B, Alves, AC, Enroth, S, Omenaas, E, Joshi, PK, Fall, T, Viñuela, A, Launer, LJ, Loehr, LR, Fornage, M, Li, G, Wilk, JB, Tang, W, Manichaikul, A, Lahousse, L, Harris, TB, North, KE, Rudnicka, AR, Hui, J, Gu, X, Lumley, T, Wright, AF, Hastie, ND, Campbell, S, Kumar, R, Pin, I, Scott, RA, Pietiläinen, KH, Surakka, I, Liu, Y, Holliday, EG, Schulz, H, Heinrich, J, Davies, G, Vonk, JM, Wojczynski, M, Pouta, A, Johansson, A, Wild, SH, Ingelsson, E, Rivadeneira, F, Völzke, H, Hysi, PG, Eiriksdottir, G, Morrison, AC, Rotter, JI, Gao, W, Postma, DS, White, WB, Rich, SS, Hofman, A, Aspelund, T, Couper, D, Smith, LJ, Psaty, BM, Lohman, K, Burchard, EG, Uitterlinden, AG, Garcia, M, Joubert, BR, McArdle, WL, Musk, AB, Hansel, N, Heckbert, SR, Zgaga, L, van Meurs, JBJ, Navarro, P, Rudan, I, Oh, Y-M, Redline, S, Jarvis, DL, Zhao, JH, Rantanen, T, O'Connor, GT, Ripatti, S, Scott, RJ, Karrasch, S, Grallert, H, Gaddis, NC, Starr, JM, Wijmenga, C, Minster, RL, Lederer, DJ, Pekkanen, J, Gyllensten, U, Campbell, H, Morris, AP, Gläser, S, Hammond, CJ, Burkart, KM, Beilby, J, Kritchevsky, SB, Gudnason, V, Hancock, DB, Williams, OD, Polasek, O, Zemunik, T, Kolcic, I, Petrini, MF, Wjst, M, Kim, WJ, Porteous, DJ, Generation Scotland, Smith, BH, Viljanen, A, Heliövaara, M, Attia, JR, Sayers, I, Hampel, R, Gieger, C, Deary, IJ, Boezen, HM, Newman, A, Jarvelin, M-R, Wilson, JF, Lind, L, Stricker, BH, Teumer, A, Spector, TD, Melén, E, Peters, MJ, Lange, LA, Barr, RG, Bracke, KR, Verhamme, FM, Sung, J, Hiemstra, PS, Cassano, PA, Sood, A, Hayward, C, Dupuis, J, Hall, IP, Brusselle, GG, Tobin, MD & London, SJ 2014, 'Genome-wide association analysis identifies six new loci associated with forced vital capacity' Nature Genetics, vol 46, no. 7, pp. 669-677.
- Norsworthy, PJ, Vandrovcova, J, Thomas, ERA, Campbell, A, Kerr, SM, Biggs, J, Game, L, Soutar, AK, Smith, BH, Dominiczak, AF, Porteous, DJ, Morris, AD, Generation Scotland & Aitman, TJ 2014, 'Targeted genetic testing for familial hypercholesterolaemia using next generation sequencing: a population-based study' BMC Medical Genetics, vol 15, 70.
- van Hecke, O, Austin, SK, Khan, RA, Smith, BH & Torrance, N 2014, 'Neuropathic pain in the general population: a systematic review of epidemiological studies' PAIN, vol 155, no. 4, pp. 654-662.
- Meng, W, Deshmukh, HA, van Zuydam, NR, Liu, Y, Donnelly, LA, Zhou, K, Morris, AD, Colhoun, HM, Palmer, CNA, Smith, BH, Wellcome Trust Case Control Consortium 2 (WTCCC2) & Surrogate Markers for Micro- and Macro-Vascular Hard Endpoints for Innovative Diabetes Tools (SUMMIT) Study Group 2014, 'A genome-wide association study suggests an association of Chr8p21.3 (GFRA2) with diabetic neuropathic pain' European Journal of Pain.
- Hart, OR, Uden, RM, McMullan, JE, Ritchie, MS, Williams, TD & Smith, BH 2014, 'A study of National Health Service management of chronic osteoarthritis and low back pain' Primary Health Care Research and Development.
- Ruscitto, A, Smith, BH & Guthrie, B 2014, 'Changes in opioid and other analgesic use 1995-2010: repeated crosssectional analysis of dispensed prescribing for a large geographical population in Scotland' European Journal of Pain.
- Smith, BH, Hardman, JD, Stein, A, Colvin, L & SIGN Chronic Pain Guideline Development Group 2014, 'Managing chronic pain in the non-specialist setting: a new SIGN guideline' British Journal of General Practice, vol 64, no. 624, pp. e462-e464.
- Marioni, RE, Davies, G, Hayward, C, Liewald, D, Kerr, SM, Campbell, A, Luciano, M, Smith, BH, Padmanabhan, S, Hocking, LJ, Hastie, ND, Wright, AF, Porteous, DJ, Visscher, PM & Deary, IJ 2014, 'Molecular genetic contributions to socioeconomic status and intelligence' Intelligence, vol 44, no. May-June, pp. 26-32.
- Schofield, P, Smith, BH, Martin, D, Jones, D, Clarke, A, McNamee, P, Marsh, R, Morrison, M, Morrison, R, Fowler, S, Anthony, G & Stewart, C 2014, 'Systematically searching for and assessing the literature for self-management of chronic pain: a lay users' perspective' BMC Geriatrics, vol 14, no. 1, pp. 86.
- Colvin L, Stein A, Smith BH. Managing Chronic Pain - a clinical challenge: new SIGN Guidelines provide a practical evidence-based approach. British Journal of Anaesthetics 2014 112 9 – 12 doi:10.1093/bja/aet470
- Smith BH, Hardman J, Stein A, Colvin L. Managing chronic pain in the non-specialist setting. A new SIGN Guideline. British Journal of General Practice 2014 64 370 – 371. .
- Smith, BH 2013, 'Ask the experts: neuropathic pain from a primary care perspective' Pain Management, vol 3, no. 3, pp.173-6.
- Rowbotham, MC, Gilron, I, Glazer, C, Rice, ASC, Smith, BH, Stewart, WF & Wasan, AD 2013, 'Can pragmatic trials help us better understand chronic pain and improve treatment?' PAIN, vol 154, no. 5, pp. 643-646.
- Boyers, D, McNamee, P, Clarke, A, Jones, D, Martin, D, Schofield, P & Smith, BH 2013, 'Cost-effectiveness of self management methods for the treatment of chronic pain in an aging adult population: a systematic review of the literature' Clinical Journal of Pain, vol 29, no. 4, pp. 366-375.
- *Martin D, Schofield P, Jones D, McNamee P, Clarke A, Anthony G, Smith BH. The effect of Stanford-type self-management programmes on pain and function in older people with persistent pain: a systematic review of randomized controlled trials. Journal of Pain Management 2013 6 117 – 122.
- Goodson NJ, Smith BH, Hocking LJ, McGilchrist MM, Dominiczak AF, Morris AD, and Porteous DJ, Goebel A, (on behalf of Generation Scotland). Cardiovascular risk factors associated with the metabolic syndrome are more prevalent in people reporting chronic pain: results from a cross sectional general population study. Pain 2013 154 1595 – 1602 doi: 10.1016/j.pain.2013.04.043
- Kerr SM, Campbell A, Murphy L, Hayward C, Porteous DJ, Jackson C, Dominiczak A, Morris AD, Smith BH, Tobin MD, Wain LV. Pedigree and Genotyping Quality Analyses of over 10,000 DNA Samples from the Generation Scotland: Scottish Family Health Study. BMC Medical Genetics 2013 14 38. http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2350/14/38
- Smith BH, Lee J, Price C, Baranowski AP. Neuropathic pain. A pathway for care developed by the British Pain Society. British Journal of Anaesthetics 2013 111 73 – 79 doi: 10.1093/bja/aet206
- Van Hecke O, Torrance N, Smith BH. Chronic pain epidemiology – where do lifestyle factors fit in? British Journal of Pain 2013 7 209 – 217, doi: 10.1177/2049463713493264)
- Bruhn H, Bond CM, Elliott AM, Hannaford PC, Lee AJ, McNamee P, Smith BH, Watson MC, Blyth A, Holland R, Wright D. Pharmacist-led management of chronic pain in primary care: results from a randomised controlled exploratory trial. BMJ Open 2013 3 e002361. doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2012-002361
- Torrance N, Ferguson J, Afolabi E, Bennett MI, Serpell MG, Dunn K, Smith BH. Neuropathic pain in the community: more under-treated than refractory? Pain 2013: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.pain.2012.12.022
- Smith BH, Campbell A, Linksted P, McGilchrist MM, Wisely L, Fitzpatrick B, Ford I, Hocking LJ, Jackson C, Kerr SM, Lindsay RS, Morton R, Palmer CAN, Deary IJ, Macintyre DJ, Campbell H, Dominiczak AF, Porteous D, Morris AD. Cohort profile. Generation Scotland: Scottish Family Health Study (GS:SFHS). The study, its participants, and their potential for genetic research on health and illness. International Journal of Epidemiology 2013 42 689–700 doi:10.1093/ije/dys084.
- Smith BH, Torrance N, Ferguson JE, Bennett MI, Serpell MG, Dunn KM. Towards a definition of refractory neuropathic pain for epidemiological research. An international Delphi survey of experts. BMC Neurology 2012 12 29 doi: 10.1186/1471-2377-12-29
- Thomson P, MacIntyre D, Hamilton G, Dominiczak A, Smith BH, Morris AD, Evans KL, Porteous DJ. Association of DISC1 variants with age of onset in a population–based sample of recurrent major depression. Molecular Psychiatry 2012 [EPub ahead of print] doi: 10/1038/mp.2012.117 Impact factor 15.470.
- Peters MJ, Broer L, Willemen HLDM, Eiriksdottir G, Hocking LJ, Holliday KL, Horan MA, Meulenbelt I, Neogi T, Popham M, Schmidt CO, Soni A, Valdes AM, Amin N, Dennison EM, Eijkelkamp N, Harris TB, Hart DJ, Hofman A, Huygen FJPM, Jameson KA, Jones GT, Launer LJ, Kerkhof HJM, de Kruijf M, McBeth J, Kloppenburg M, Ollier W, Oostra B, Payton A, Rivadeneira F, Smith BH, Smith AV, Stolk L, Teumer A, Thomson W, Uitterlinden AG, Wang K, van Wingerden SH, Arden NK, Cooper C, Felson D, Gudnason V, Macfarlane GJ, Pendleton N, Slagboom PE, Spector TD, Völzke H, Kavelaars A, van Duijn CM, Williams FMK, van Meurs JB. Genome-wide association study meta-analysis of chronic widespread pain: evidence for involvement of the 5p15.2 region. Ann Rheum Dis 2013 72 427 – 436 doi:10.1136/annrheumdis-2012-201742.
- McIntosh AM, Simen AA, Evans KL, Hall J, MacIntyre DJ, Blackwood D, Morris AD, Smith BH, Dominiczak A, Porteous DJ, Deary IJ, Thomson P. Genetic variation in Hyperpolarization-activated cyclic nucleotide-gated (HCN) channels and its relationship with neuroticism, cognition and risk of depression. Frontiers in Behavioral and Psychiatric Genetics 2012 3 116. http://dx.doi.org/10.3389/fgene.2012.00116
- Clarke A, Gray D, Jones D, McNamee P, Schofield P, Smith BH, Martin D. ‘I feel so stupid because I can’t give a proper answer…’ How older adults describe chronic pain: a qualitative study. BMC Geriatrics 2012 12 78. http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2318/12/78
- Hamilton G, Evans KL, MacIntyre D, Deary I, Dominiczak A, Smith BH, Morris AD, Porteous DJ, Thomson PA. Alzheimer’s disease risk factor complement receptor 1 is associated with depression. Neuroscience Letters 2012 510 6 – 9 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.neulet.2011.12.059
- Hocking LJ, Generation Scotland, Morris AD, Dominiczak A, Porteous D, Smith BH. Heritability of chronic pain in 2,195 extended families. European Journal of Pain 2012 16 1053 – 1063 doi: 10.1002/j.1532-2149.2011.00095.x
- Bowyers D, McNamee P, Schofield P, Clarke A, Jones D, Martin D, Smith BH. Cost-effectiveness of self-management methods for the treatment of chronic pain in older adults - A systematic review of the literature. Clinical Journal of Pain 2013 29 366 – 375. doi: 10.1097/AJP.0b013e318250f539
- Artigas MA, Wain LV, Repapi E , Obeidat M, Sayers I, Burton PR, Johnson T, Zhao JH, Albrecht E, Dominiczak A, Kerr SM, Smith BH, Cadby G, Hui J, Palmer LJ, Wannamethee SG, Hingorani AD, Whincup PH, Smith GD, Ebrahim S, Barroso I, Loos RJF, Wareham NJ, Cooper C, Dennison E, Shaheen S, The NSHD Respiratory Study Team, Naluai AT, Olin A-C, Dahgam S, Karrasch S, Heinrich J, Schulz H, McKeever TM, Pavord ID, Heliövaara M, Ripatti S, Surakka I, Blakey JD, Kähönen M, Britton JR, Nyberg F, Holloway JW, Lawlor DA, Morris RW, James AL, Jackson CM, Hall IP, Tobin MD, SpiroMeta Consortium. Effect of five genetic variants associated with lung function on the risk of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, and their joint effects on lung function. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine 2011 [EPub ahead of print] doi:10.1164/rccm.201102-0192OC.
- Smith BH, Torrance N. “Neuropathic Pain”, in Croft P (ed): Chronic Pain Epidemiology: from Aetiology to Public Health. Oxford: Oxford University Press 2011 pp209 – 233.
- Yi D, Ryan M, Campbell S, Elliott AM, Torrance N, chambers WA, Johnson M, Hannaford P, Smith BH. Using Discrete Choice Experiments to elicit preferences: An application to an intervention for chronic low back pain in NHS primary care. European Journal of Pain 2011 15 531.e1–531.e10
- Haanpää M, Attal N, Backonja M, Baron R, Bennett M, Bouhassira D, Cruccu G, Hansson P, Haythornthwaite JA, Iannetti GD, Jensen TS, Kauppila T, Nurmikko TJ, Rice AS, Rowbotham MC, Serra J, Sommer C, Smith BH, Treede R-D. International Association for the Study of Pain NeuPSIG guidelines on neuropathic pain assessment. Pain 2010 152 14 – 27.
- Hocking L, Smith BH, Jones GT, Reid DM, Strachan DP, Macfarlane GJ. Genetic variation in the beta2-adrenergic receptor but not catecholamine-O-methyltransferase predisposes to chronic pain. Pain 2010 149 143 – 151.
- Torrance, N, Elliott AM, Lee AJ, Smith BH. Severe chronic pain is associated with increased 10 year mortality. A Cohort record linkage study. European Journal of Pain 2010 14 380 – 386.
- Sullivan FM, Swan IRC, Donnan PT, Morrison J, Smith BH, McKinstry B, Davenport RJ, Vale LD, Clarkson JE, Hammersley V, Hayavi S, McAteer A, Stewart K, Daly F. Early Treatment with Prednisolone or Acyclovir and Recovery in Bell’s Palsy. New England Journal of Medicine 2007 357 1598 – 1607.
- Smith BH, Macfarlane GJ, Torrance N. Epidemiology of chronic pain, from the laboratory to the bus stop: time to add understanding of biological mechanisms to the study of risk factors in population-based research? Pain 2007 127 5 – 10.
- Smith BH, Torrance N, Bennett M, Lee AJ. Health and quality of life associated with chronic pain of predominantly neuropathic origin in the community. Clinical Journal of Pain 2007 23 143 – 149.
- Smith BH, Campbell H, Blackwood D, Connell J, Connor J, Deary I, Dominiczak A, Fitzpatrick B, Ford I, Jackson C, Haddow G, Kerr S, Lindsay RS, McGilchrist M, Morton R, Murray G, Palmer C, Pell JP, Porteous D, Ralston SH, St. Clair D, Sullivan FM, Watt GCM, Wolf R, Wright A, Morris AD. Generation Scotland: the Scottish Family Health Study; a new resource for researching genes and heritability. BMC Medical Genetics 2006 7 74.
PhD, University of Aberdeen. Hilary Selbie. Chronic pain in primary care. Its determinants, impact and management needs. Completed March 2006.
PhD, The Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen. Kay Cooper. Service redesign for chronic low back pain management in Grampian: Development of a patient-centred physiotherapy intervention which supports self-management, and the evaluation of appropriate measures of outcome. Completed June 2007
PhD, University of Aberdeen. Pattarin Kittiboonyakun. Chronic non-malignant pain and the use of medicines. Completed November 2010.
PhD, University of Aberdeen. Nita Majethia. Comparison of methods for the epidemiological assessment of symptoms in the community. Completed November 2011.
PhD. University of Dundee. Paul Cameron. Knowledge, attitudes and experience of health professionals who manage chronic pain in older adults. To be submitted 2015.
PhD. University of Dundee. Cassie Higgins. To be submitted 2015.
MD. University of Dundee. Nicholas Conway. To be submitted 2016.
- Smith BH, Scottish Pain & Research Community (SPaRC) Annual Scientific Meeting, Dundee, March 2015
- Smith BH, van Hecke O, Torrance N Hocking L, Padmanabhan S, Porteous D. Exploring the clustering of chronic pain, depression and heart disease in a general population-based cohort [oral presentation]. Society for Academic Primary Care ASM, Edinburgh, July 2014.
- Qureshi N, Smith BH, Khan I. Translation of Genetic/Genomic research into clinical practice [workshop]. Society for Academic Primary Care ASM, Edinburgh, July 2014.
- Smith BH. Scottish Pain Research CoSmith BH. Pain management in older adults. Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh Symposium, Edinburgh, April 2014. http://www2.streamingwizard.com/clients/rcpe/smith030414/html5.htmlmmunity (SPaRC) Annual Scientific Meeting, Dundee, March 2014
- Smith BH. Developing a phenotype for genetic studies of neuropathic pain [lecture]. IASP NeuPSIG 4th International Conference on Neuropathic Pain, Toronto, May 2013
- Smith BH. Generation Scotland: Applying genetic research to the public health. Faculty of Public Health Annual Conference, Crieff, November 2012.
- Smith BH. Epidemiology of chronic pain. Scottish Society of Anaesthetists/Royal College of Anaesthetists ASM, Dundee, November 2012
- Smith BH. Generation Scotland and the potential for future research. NHS Research Scotland Conference, Edinburgh, October 2012.
- Smith BH. 1. Epidemiology of chronic postsurgical pain; 2. Chronic pain: a challenge for GPs. 15th World Conference of Pain Clinicians, Granada, Spain, June 2012.
- Smith BH. Epidemiology of neuropathic pain. Indian Society for the Study of Pain annual conference, Bangalore, India, February 2012
- Smith BH. Genetic epidemiology and pain. [plenary lecture]; AND Assessing pain in primary care [workshop]. Atlantic Provinces Inter-Professional Pain Conference, Halifax, Nova Scotia, September 2011.
- Smith BH. Engaging with older people and their carers to develop and deliver interventions for the self-management of Chronic Pain [workshop]; AND The principles of managing chronic pain in primary care [workshop]. British Pain Society/Canadian Pain Society ASM, Edinburgh, June 2011.
- Smith BH. Opportunities and challenges in pain care [keynote lecture]. European Federation of IASP Chapters, “Societal Impact of Pain” symposium, European Parliament, Brussels, May 2011.
- Smith BH. Epidemiology of chronic pain [lecture]. Pan-African Pain Conference, Cape Town, March 2011.
- Smith BH. Epidemiology of neuropathic pain [lecture]. Welsh Pain Society Annual Meeting, Cardiff, November 2010.
- Smith BH. Assessing neuropathic pain in primary care. [Invited workshop]. Eli Lilly Pain Regional Educational Conference, Rome, November 2010.
- Smith BH. Evidence for the genetic origin of musculoskeletal disorders, and possible application of this new knowledge in prevention and treatment [plenary lecture]. PRImary Care MUSculoskeletal Research (PRIMUS) Congress, Erasmus University, Rotterdam, October 2010.
- Smith BH. Engaging with Older People and their carers to Develop and Deliver Interventions for the Self-management of Chronic Pain. UK Ageing Research Forum, London, September 2010.
- Smith BH. Scotland gets to GRIPS with chronic pain [lecture]. NHS Scotland Event, Edinburgh, June 2010.
- Smith BH. Epidemiology of neuropathic pain – what do we really know?. [Plenary lecture]; AND Chronic postsurgical pain - epidemiology. [Workshop lecture]. IASP 3rd International Congress on Neuropathic Pain, Athens, May 2010.
- Smith BH. Developing a national model for chronic pain services in Scotland. [Plenary lecture]. European Federation of IASP Chapters, “The Societal Impact of Pain” symposium, Brussels, May 2010.
Smith BH, International Association for the Study of Pain, Neuropathic Pain Special Interest Group (NeuPSIG). 2014-15 Global Year Against Neuropathic Pain – Fact Sheets.
- What is Neuropathic Pain?
- Epidemiology of Neuropathic Pain