Clinical Senior Lecturer
Department of Surgery
Ninewells Hospital and Medical School
University of Dundee
+(44) 01382 383550
- JHO in Medicine and Surgery (1983-1984)
- SHO in A & E, Anatomy Demonstrator (1984-1985)
- Registrar, West of Scotland rotational training scheme in Surgery (1985-1988)
- Clinical Research Fellow, Department of Surgery, University of Dundee (1988-1990)
- Lecturer in Surgery, University of Dundee (1990-1993)
- Senior Lecturer and Consultant Surgeon, University of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital (1993-present)
- Endoscopic Surgery and Surgical Technology : Development of laparoscopic and thorascopic surgical procedures. Development of endoscopic devices and instruments
- Oesophageal Diseases: Functional studies on benign oesophageal disease, Therapeutic studies on malignant oesophageal and gastric disease.
- Post-operative adhesions: Clinical studies using anti-adhesion agents. Laboratory studies on Surfactant and other agents in adhesions.
- Post-operative mobilisation: Clinical randomised study on goal directed mobilisation
- Shimi S M. Peptic ulcer perforation; a complication of double contrast Barium meal examination. A case report. SMJ 1989; 34: 500
- Shimi S M, Cuschieri A. A new method of harvesting bile salts from the upper digestive tract. Gut 1989; 30(10): A1484 (Abstract)
- Shimi S M, Newman E L, Hopwood D, Cuschieri A. Microencapsulation of human cells, its effects on growth of normal and tumour cells in-vitro¬. British Journal of Cancer 1991; 63: 675-680
- Shimi S, Nathanson L K, Cuschieri A. Laparoscopic cardiomyotomy for achalasia. Journal of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh 1991; 36: 152-154
- Nathanson L K, Shimi S M, Cuschieri A. Laparoscopic cholecystectomy: the Dundee technique. British Journal of Surgery 1991; 78 (2): 155-159
- Nathanson L K, Shimi S, Cuschieri A. Laparoscopic ligamentem teres (round ligament) cardiopexy. British Journal of Surgery 1991; 78: 947-951
- Nathanson L K, Shimi S M, Wood R A B, Cuschieri A. Video-Thoracoscopic ligation of pleural bullae and pleurectomy for recurrent spontaneous pneumothorax. Annals of Thoracic Surgery 1991; 52 (2): 316-319
- Shimi S M, Nathanson L K, Cuschieri A. Thorascopic long oesophageal myotomy for nutcracker oesophagus: initial experience of a new surgical approach. British Journal of Surgery 1992; 79: 533-536
- Cuschieri A, Shimi S M, Nathanson L K. Laparoscopic reduction, crural repair, and fundoplication of large hiatal hernia. American Journal of Surgery 1992; 163: 425-430
- Shimi S M, Banting S, Cuschieri A. Laparoscopy in the management of pancreatic cancer: endoscopic cholecystojejunostomy for advanced disease. British Journal of Surgery 1992; 79: 317-319
- Shimi S M, Banting S, Cuschieri A. Transcystic drainage after laparoscopic exploration of common bile duct. Min Invasive Therapy 1992; 1: 273-276
- Nathanson L K, Shimi S, Cuschieri A. Sutured laparoscopic cholecystojejunostomy evolved in an animal model. Journal of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh 1992; 37: 215-220
- Cuschieri A, Shimi S M, Banting S. Endoscopic oesophagectomy through a right thoracoscopic approach. Journal of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh 1992; 37: 7-11
- Cuschieri A, Shimi S M, Banting S, Vander Velpen G. Technical aspects of laparoscopic splenectomy: hilar segmental devascularisation and instrumentation. Journal of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh 1992; 37: 414-416
- Pietrabissa A, Shimi S M, Vander Velpen G, Cuschieri A. Localisation of insulinoma by laparoscopic infragastric inspection of the pancrease and contact ultrasonography. Surgical Oncology 1993; 2: 83-86
- Vander Velpen G, Shimi S, Cuschieri A. Outcome after cholecystectomy for symptomatic gallstone disease and effect of surgical access: laparoscopic versus open approach. Gut 1993; 34: 1448-1451
- Cuschieri A, Shimi S, Banting S, Vander Velpen G, Dunkley P. Coaxial curved instrumentation for minimal access surgery. Endosc Surg Allied Technol 1993; 1: 303-305
- Cuschieri A, Shimi S, Banting S, Vander Velpen G. Endoscopic ultrasonic dissection for thoracoscopic and laparoscopic surgery. Surgical Endoscopy 1993; 7: 197-199
- Banting S, Shimi S, Vander Velpen G, Cuschieri A. Abdominal wall lift: low pressure pneumoperitoneum laparoscopic surgery. Surgical Endoscopy 1993; 7: 57-59
- Cuschieri A, Shimi S, Vander Velpen G, Banting S, Wood R A B. Laparoscopic prosthesis fixation rectopexy for complete rectal prolapse. British Journal of Surgery 1994; 81: 138-139
- Cuschieri A, Shimi S M, Crosthwaite G, Joypaul V. Bilateral endoscopic splanchnicectomy through a posterior thoracoscopic approach. Journal of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh 1994; 39: 44-47
- Cuschieri A, Shimi S, Banting S, Nathanson L K, Pietrabissa A. Intraoperative cholangiography during laparoscopic cholecystectomy. Routine vs selective policy. Surgical Endoscopy 1994; 8: 302-305
- Shimi S M, Lirici M, Vander Velpen G, Cuschieri A. Comparative study of the holding strength of slipknots using absorbable and non-absorbable ligature materials. Surgical Endoscopy 1994; 8: 1285-1291
- Vander Velpen G C, Shimi S M, Cuschieri A. Diagnostic yield and management benefit of laparoscopy: a prospective audit. Gut 1994; 35: 1617-1621
- Shimi S M. Access with flexible cannulae. Endoscopic Surgery 1995; 3: 51-54
- Shimi S M. Dissection techniques in laparoscopic surgery. Journal of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh 1995; 40: 249-259
- Shimi S M. Laparoscopic direct common bile duct exploration. Current Practice in Surgery 1995; 7: 109-113
- Frank T, Shimi S M, Willets G T, Cuschieri A. Atraumatic retractor for endoscopic surgery. Surgical Endoscopy 1995; 9: 841-843
- Pietrabissa A, Di Candio G, Giulianotti P C, Shimi S, Cuschieri A, Mosca F. Comparative evaluation of contact ultrasonography and transcystic cholangiography during laparoscopic cholecystectomy: a prospective study. Archives of Surgery 1995; 130: 1110-1114
- Lam C M, Shimi S M, Cuschieri A. Ultrasonographic characterisation of hepatic cryolesions: an ex vivo study. Archives of Surgery 1995; 130: 1068-1072
- Cuschieri A, Crosthwaite G, Shimi S, Pietrabissa A, Joypaul V, Tait I, Naziri W. Hepatic cryotherapy for liver tumours. Development and clinical evaluation of a high-efficiency insulated multineedle probe system for open and laparoscopic use. Surgical Endoscopy 1995; 9: 483-489
- Crosthwaite G, Chung T, Dunkley P, Shimi S, Cuschieri A. Comparison of direct vision and electronic two- and three-dimensional display systems on surgical task efficiency in endoscopic surgery. British Journal of Surgery 1995; 82: 849-851
- Hanna GB, Drew T, Clinch P, Hunter B, Shimi S, Dunkley MP, Cuschieri A. A microprocessor-controlled psychomotor tester for minimal access surgery. Surg Endosc 1996 Oct;10(10):965-9
- Hanna GB, Drew T, Clinch P, Shimi S, Dunkley P, Hau C, Cuschieri A. Psychomotor skills for endoscopic manipulations: differing abilities between right and left-handed individuals. Ann Surg 1997 Mar;225(3):333-8
- Hanna GB, Shimi S, Cuschieri A. Optimal port locations for endoscopic intracorporeal knotting. Surg Endosc 1997 Apr;11(4):397-401
- Poole G, Waldron B, Shimi SM, Cuschieri A. Laparoscopic common bile duct exploration after failed endoscopic stone extraction. Endoscopy 1997 Sep;29(7):609-13
- Hanna GB, Shimi S, Cuschieri A. Influence of direction of view, target-to-endoscope distance and manipulation angle on endoscopic knot tying. Br J Surg 1997 Oct;84(10):1460-4
- Lam CM, Shimi SM. Needle Implantation Cryoprobes: Biophysical and Thermal Characteristics. Semin Laparosc Surg 1997 Jun;4(2):89-95
- Hanna GB, Shimi SM, Cuschieri A. Randomised study of influence of two-dimensional versus three-dimensional imaging on performance of laparoscopic cholecystectomy. Lancet 1998 Jan 24;351(9098):248-51
- Kumar V, Shimi SM, Cuschieri A. Does laparoscopic cardiomyotomy require an antireflux procedure? Endoscopy 1998 Jan;30(1):8-11
- Hensman C, Newman EL, Shimi SM, Cuschieri A. Cytotoxicity of electro-surgical smoke produced in an anoxic environment. Am J Surg 1998 Mar;175(3):240-1
- Hanna GB, Shimi SM, Cuschieri A. Task performance in endoscopic surgery is influenced by location of the image display. Ann Surg 1998 Apr;227(4):481-4
- Lam CM, Shimi SM, Cuschieri A. Thermal characteristics of a hepatic cryolesion formed in vitro by a 3-mm implantable cryoprobe. Cryobiology 1998 Mar;36(2):156-64
- El-Shakhs SA, Shimi SM, Cuschieri A. Effective hepatic cryoablation: does it enhance tumor dissemination? World J Surg 1999 Mar;23(3):306-10
- Shimi SM. Self Expanding Metallic Stents in the management of advanced esohageal cancer: A review. Seminars in Laparoscopic Surgery. 2000 Mar; 7(1): 9-21.
- Ng Y, Song C, McLean D, Shimi SM, Frank TG, Cuschieri A. Optimized deployment of heat-activated surgical staples using thermography. Applied Physics Letters 2003; 83: 1884-6.
- Ng Y, Shimi SM, Kernohan N, Frank TG, Campbell PA, Martin D, Gove J, Cuschieri A. Skin wound closure with a novel shape-memory alloy fixator. Surg Endosc. 2006 Feb;20(2):311-5.
- Boni L, Benevento A, Shimi SM, Cuschieri A. Free radical production in the esophago-gastro-duodenal mucosa in response to acid and bile. Dis Esophagus. 2006;19(2):99-104.
- Kara, N.; Patil, P.V.; Shimi, S.M. Changes in working patterns hit emergency general surgical training. Bulletin of The Royal College of Surgeons of England, Volume 90, Number 2, February 2008 pp. 60-63(4)
- Sgromo B, Irvine LA, Cuschieri A, Shimi SM. Long-term comparative outcome between laparoscopic total Nissen and Toupet fundoplication: Symptomatic relief, patient satisfaction and quality of life. Surg Endosc. 2008 Apr;22(4):1048-53.
- Garbarino S, Shimi SM. Routine diagnostic laparoscopy reduces the rate of unnecessary appendicectomies in young women. Surg Endosc. 2009 Mar; 23: 527. Li W, MacDonald, T., Shimi, S. Appendicectomy is associated with increased pregnancy rate: A cohort study. Annals of Surgery 2011, Accepted for publication, October, 2011.
I have been and continue to be involved in both undergraduate medical education and postgraduate surgical education: In undergraduate teaching, I am involved with direct teaching by lectures and tutorials, student support, assessment, and management of teaching in the form of a block organiser and site supervisor. In post graduate teaching, I am involved in supervision and teaching of junior doctors as well as direct surgical teaching and demonstrations.
Annually, I am invited to give lectures at various institutions on oesophago-gastric conditions and their surgical management. In addition, I am invited to give lectures on minimal access surgery.
I am on the editorial board of two surgical journal (Surgical endoscopy and Global Surgery) and I am involved in a variety of national clinical boards.