Postgraduate Skills Tutor
Department of Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery,
Tayside Orthopaedic and Rehabilitation Technology (TORT) Centre,
Ninewells Hospital and Medical School,
University of Dundee
+(44) 01382 383504
Ian Christie initially trained and worked as a greeting card artist for five years with Andrew Valentine Ltd., in Dundee. After deciding to retrain he has now been employed by the University of Dundee since 1990. Ian lectures to and supports postgraduate, undergraduate students and staff on how to present their research in the form of oral presentations, scientific poster design, effectively structuring their dissertation and how to use images effectively and accurately. He also provides high quality electronic illustrations for research, educational and publication purposes and an editorial service for all proposed publications.
Ian has designed close to 150 scientific posters that have been successfully presented at conferences worldwide, several of which have won best poster awards. He has also produced over 4000 illustrations and graphics widely used in learning materials and published papers across several specialities including medical illustration and orthopaedics. Ian also project managed the development of the department's website.
In his spare time Ian likes to paint in all mediums and hopes at some stage to exhibit some works. In the past he has designed the official Glastonbury Festival t-shirts of 2002 and 2004 and and has done cover illustrations for three childrens' books. More recently he was commisioned to redesign the front cover of The Foot Journal.
- Footwear in rock climbing: current practice The Foot, doi:10.1016/j.foot.2015.07.007. (2015), McHenry RD, Arnold GP, Wang W, Abboud RJ. Illustrator.
- A lower limb biomechanical model without using wand-markers for motion analysis during walking and running Nanotechnology and Precision Engineering (2015), 13(5): 383-390. Ghaffar M, Raza S, Arnold GP, Abboud RJ, Wang W. Editor.
- Evaluation of the cementation index as a predictor of failure in Coonrad-Morrey Total Elbow Arthroplasty Advances in Orthopedic Surgery (2014), vol.2014,4-pages Kiran M, Jariwala AC, Wigderowitz CA. Illustrator.
- Efficacy of low-level laser therapy applied at acupuncture points in knee osteoarthritis: a randomised double-blind comparative trial Physiotherapy (in press) (2014), PHYST-731;7 Al Rashoud AS, Abboud RJ, Wang W, Wigderowitz CA.Illustrator.
- Dynamic pressure effect on horse and horse rider during riding Sports Engineering (2014), Nicol G, Arnold GP, Wang W, Abboud RJ.Illustrator.
- A blinded, randomized, controlled trial assessing conservative management strategies for frozen shoulder Journal of Shoulder & Elbow Surgery (2014), Volume 23, Issue 4, Pages 500-507 Russell S, Jariwala AC, Conlon R, Selfe J, Richards J, Walton MJ. Editor.
- Important anatomical relationships of the posterior interosseous nerve in the distal forearm for surgical planning: a cadaveric study Journal of Wrist Surgery (2014), 3:60-63 Jariwala AC, Krishnan B, Soames R, Wigderowitz CA.Illustrator.
- Does navigation total knee replacement really make a difference?Journal of Musculoskeletal Research (2013), Vol. 6. No. 2, 1350007 (8 pages) Motwani P, Jariwala AC, Valentine N. Editor.
- Assessing the variability of injectate distribution following carpal tunnel injection: a cadaveric study Hand Surgery (2013), 18(3):313-316 Jariwala A, Zaliunaite R, Soames R, Wigderowitz CA. Editor.
- A guide to the recognition and treatment of tennis elbowGeneral Practice (2012), Jariwala AC, Dorman S, Bruce D, Rickhuss P.
- Exploring the anatomy of dorsal radiocarpal ligament of the wrist and its ulnar part: a cadaveric study Hand Surgery (2012), Vol.17,No.3,1-4 Jariwala A, Khurjekar K, Whiton S, Wigderowitz CA.
- Assessing the accuracy of bone resection by cutting blocks in patient-specific total knee replacements. Yeo CH, Jariwala A, Pourgiezis N, Pillai A. International Scholarly Research Network, ISRN Orthopaedics (2012). Editor.
- Ankle arthritis and ankle replacement: an overview. Pillai A, Jain A, Jariwala A. Orthopaedic and Trauma Times (2012). Editor.
- Classification of the reduced vertical component of the ground reaction force in late stance in cerebral palsy gait. Gibbs S, Williams SE, Meadows CB, Abboud RJ. Gait and Posture (2011). Illustrator.
- Classification of the reduced vertical component of the ground reaction force in late stance in cerebral palsy gait. Gibbs S, Williams SE, Meadows CB, Abboud RJ. Gait and Posture (2011). Editor.
- Parallel-edges sign - A guide to complete division of the carpal tunnel. Jariwala A, Maclean JGB. The Surgeon 8:182-183 (2010). Illustrator.
- Objective assessment of the alterations in wrist mobility with the Fastrak system following dorsal capsulodesis, Jariwala AC, Scott I, Arnold GP, Abboud RJ, Wigderowitz CA. Hand Surgery, Vol 15, No. 3, 237-241 (2010). Editor.
- Shoes influence lower limb muscle activity and may predispose the wearer to lateral ankle ligament injury. Kerr R, Arnold GP, Drew TS, Cochrane LA, Abboud RJ: J Orthop Res 27(3): 318-324 (2009). Illustrator.
- Analysis of musculoskeletal models of the upper-limb during walking-assistant-supported walking, Wang W, Ming D. (Joint Project, The Royal Society of Edinburgh: 2009). Editor.
- The investigation of neurological and electronic activities in animal models and patients with the implication for improvement of patients with cerebral palsy, Wang W, Yang Z. (Joint Project, The Scottish Government: 2009). Editor.
- Shoes influence lower limb muscle activity and may predispose the wearer to lateral ankle ligament injury, Kerr R, Arnold GP, Drew TS, Cochrane LA, Abboud RJ: Journal of Orthopaedic Research online (2008) www.interscience.wiley.com. Illustrator.
- The effects of off-the-shelf in-shoe heel inserts on forefoot plantar pressure, Ramanathan AK, John MC, Arnold GP, Cochrane L, Abboud RJ: Gait and Posture 28: 533-537 (2008) www.elsevier.com/locate/gaitpost. Illustrator.
- Off-the-shelf in-shoe heel inserts: does cost matter? Ramanathan AK, John MC, Arnold GP, Cochrane L, Abboud RJ: British Journal Sports Medicine 42: 750-752 (2008) bjsm.bmj.com. Illustrator.
- Foot pressures in clubfoot - the development of an objective assessment tool, Herd F, Ramanathan AK, Cochrane L, Macnicol M, Abboud RJ: The Foot 18: 99-105 (2008) www.elsevier.com/locate/foot. Illustrator.
- Normal pressure values and repeatability of the Emed® ST4 system, Putti AB, Arnold GP, Cochrane LA, Abboud RJ: Gait and Posture 27: 501-505 (2007) www.sciencedirect.com. Illustrator.
- The inadequate effect of automobile seating on foot posture and callus development Rajput B, Abboud RJ: Ergonomics Vol.50: 131-137 (2007) www.tandf.co.uk/journals. Illustrator.
- Relevant foot biomechanics, Abboud RJ: Current Orthopaedics 16: 165-179 (2002). Illustrator.
- Compression screw fixation for first metatarsal basal osteotomy, Fadel GE, Rowley DI, Jain AS: Foot and Ankle International (2002). Illustrator.
- Gait Analysis, Abboud RJA, Gibbs S. Book: Foot and Running (2002). Illustrator.
- A New Method of Fixation in Osteoporotic Bone, Drew TS, Allcock P: International Journal of the Care of the Injured (2002). Illustrator.
- Lower limb muscle dysfunction may contribute to foot ulceration in diabetic patients, Abboud RJ, Rowley DI, Newton RW: Clinical Biomechanics 15 (2000). Illustrator.
As well as lecturing on the subjects listed below, Ian also presents tutorials and offers support and guidance to both postgraduate and undergraduate students and staff.
- Scientific poster design
- How to avoid the world’s worst PowerPoint presentation
- Using images effectively and accurately
- Using Microsoft Word Templates for Thesis Writing