Academic Fellow in General Practice
The Mackenzie building
Kirsty Semple Way
+(44) 01382 383243
Dr Mills completed a SCREDS Clinical Lectureship in General Practice in August 2016. She is completing a Scottish School of Primary Care Academic Fellow in General Practice, and researching use of unscheduled care by patients with terminal cancer.
Dr Mills graduated with a first class Bachelor of Science in Medical Science from the University of St Andrews in 2007, and her MBBChir from the University of Cambridge in 2010. She completed an Academic Foundation Programme with the University of Edinburgh Primary Palliative Care department. Dr Mills is currently working towards an M.D. supervised by Prof. Blair Smith, Prof Bruce Guthrie and Dr Deans Buchanan.
Dr Mills’ research aims to understand the patterns of attendance in Unscheduled Care (GP Out-of-Hours and A&E) by patients with cancer in their last 12 months of life. She is undertaking a systematic review as well as a retrospective cohort study of NHS Tayside residents who died from cancer in a three-year period, from 2012-2015.
- Mills, SEE, Baker LD. Childhood Depression. InnovAit, September 2016, 9: 524-530 doi:10.1177/1755738016658676
- Mills SEE, Smith BH, Torrance N. Identification and Management of Chronic Pain in Primary Care: a Review. Current Psychiatry Reports, 18(2), 1-9. doi: 10.1007/s11920-015-0659-9.
- Mills, SEE. Book Review: CSA Symptom Solver. InnovAit, September 2016, 9: 570. doi:10.1177/1755738015592433.
- Mills, SEE. Chronic Low Back Pain. InnovAit, October 2015, 8: 613-619. doi:10.1177/1755738015579209
- Mills SEE. Initiating palliative care in malignant and non-malignant conditions. BMJ, September 2011. (Response to BMJ 2011;343:d4920)
- Mills SEE. The Value of District General Hospitals. BMJ, September 2011. (Response to BMJ 2011;343:d5311)
- Mills SEE. Palliative Care: The Elephant in the Room. BMJ, October 2010. (Response to BMJ 2010;341:c4859)
Dr Mills is a supervisor for the University of Dundee Summer Research Program and an assessor for the School of Medicine student clerking reports. She has been involved in medical school interviews and OSCE examination.
- Use of Unscheduled Care by Patients with Terminal Cancer. Society for Academic Primary Care (SAPC), Dublin, Ireland, 2016.
- Use of Emergency Care by Patients with Cancer. WONCA Europe, Copenhagen, Denmark, 2016.
- Pain-related Emergency Care Presentations by Patients with Terminal Cancer. WONCA Europe, Copenhagen, Denmark, 2016.
- Pain-Related Emergency Care Presentations by Patients with Terminal Cancer. SPaRC, Dundee, Scotland, 2016.
- Emergency Care Presentations by Patients with Terminal Cancer, CMDN Conference, Crieff, Scotland, 2016.
- Rural General Practice in Scotland, NADEGS Conference, University Departments of General Practice in Scotland, Carnoustie, 2016
- A Health Check for Rural General Practice in Scotland, Society for Academic Primary Care National Conference, Oxford, 2015.
- Doctors' comfort level with palliative care and DNACPR decisions. NADEGS Conference, Stirling; 2015.
- The Impact of Community Hospitals on Rural Medicine. Scottish Association of Community Hospitals National Conference; 2010.