Clinical Senior Lecturer
Medicines Monitoring Unit (MEMO)
Ninewells Hospital and Medical School
+(44) 01382 632575
Dr Isla Mackenzie MBChB (Honours) PhD FRCP Edin is a Clinical Senior Lecturer in Clinical Pharmacology and Honorary Consultant Physician at the University of Dundee and Ninewells Hospital, Dundee. Research interests include cardiovascular safety of drugs, clinical trials, hypertension and technology in research.
Clinical interests include general medicine, hypertension and adrenal disorders including phaeochromocytoma. Dr Mackenzie trained in Clinical Pharmacology in Cambridge prior to moving to Dundee in 2008.
Swine flu (H1N1 Influenza A) vaccine safety study – an academic post-marketing surveillance study of the safety of swine flu vaccination in the UK population. Collaboration with Drug Safety Research Unit, Southampton /University of Plymouth. (Chief Investigator).
Spironolactone and breast cancer – a pharmacoepidemiological study in the General Practice Research Database (GPRD) investigating whether there is a link between exposure to aldosterone antagonists and increased incidence of breast cancer. Collaboration with Dundee Cancer Centre. (Principal Investigator).
The Standard care versus Celecoxib Outcome Trial (SCOT) – a large multicentre streamlined safety study comparing the cardiovascular and gastrointestinal safety of celecoxib and traditional NSAIDs in patients with osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis. Collaboration with Universities of Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Nottingham, Birmingham and Southern Denmark (Steering Committee Member).
Febuxostat versus Allopurinol Streamlined Trial (FAST) - a prospective, randomised, open-label, blinded endpoint (PROBE) clinical trial evaluating long term cardiovascular safety of febuxostat in comparison with allopurinol in patients with chronic symptomatic hyperuricaemia. (Principal Investigator and Steering Committee Member).
BHS Prevention And Treatment of Hypertension With Algorithm Based Therapy (PATHWAY) Studies – a series of three clinical trials investigating rational treatment algorithms for hypertension. Collaboration with Universities of Cambridge, Leicester, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Exeter, Manchester, Birmingham, Imperial College and St Bartholomew’s, London.Hypertension
due to Conn’s adenoma - the localisation of adrenal cortical adenomas by 11C-metomidate PET scanning following dexamethasone and fludrocortisone suppression. Collaboration with University of Cambridge (Co-Investigator).
Personal health monitoring through mobile devices - Collaboration with Herriot-Watt University, University of Stirling and Glasgow School of Art. (Co-Investigator).
Effervescent medications, sodium content and blood pressure - Pharmacoepidemiological study investigating the effect of chronic therapy with effervescent tablets containing high levels of sodium and risk of hypertension and cardiovascular events.
‘Get Randomised’ Campaign – methods of engaging the public in clinical research. Highly Commended entry for Ian Stevenson Prize for Public Engagement, University of Dundee, 2010.
- Mackenzie IS, McEniery CM, Dhakam Z, Brown MJ, Cockcroft JR, Wilkinson IB. Comparison of effects of antihypertensive agents on central blood pressure and arterial stiffness in isolated systolic hypertension. Hypertension 2009;54:414-420.
- Cheriyan J, Burton TJ, Bradley T, Wallace SML, Maki-Petaja KM, Mackenzie IS, McEniery CM, Brown J, Wilkinson IB. The effects of urotensin II and urantide on forearm blood flow and systemic haemodynamics in humans. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology 2009;68(4):518-523.
- Mackenzie IS. European Association of Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics Meeting Report. IDrugs 2009; Sept 12(9):550-4.
- Mackenzie IS, Wei L, Rutherford D, Findlay EA, Saywood W, Campbell MK, MacDonald TM. Promoting public awareness of randomised clinical trials using the media: the ‘Get Randomised’ campaign. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology 2010; 69(2):128-135.
- Mackenzie IS, MacDonald TM. Treatment of osteoarthritis in hypertensive patients. Expert Opinion on Pharmacotherapy 2010 Feb;11(3):393-403.
- Mackenzie IS, MacDonald TM. The challenge of managing difficult-to-control hypertension. Prescriber Journal 2010 March;21(5):47-50.
- Mackenzie IS, Coughtrie MWH, MacDonald TM, Wei L. Antiplatelet drug interactions. Journal of Internal Medicine 2010;268:516-29.
- Wei L, Mackenzie IS, Chen Y, Struthers AD, MacDonald TM. Impact of allopurinol use on urate concentration and cardiovascular outcome. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology 2011; 71:4;600-607.
- Mackenzie IS, MacDonald TM. Hypertension in octogenarians – treatment strategies and challenges. European Cardiology 2011;7(1):15-18.
- Mackenzie IS, Mantay BJ, McDonnell PG, Wei L, MacDonald TM. Managing security and privacy concerns over data storage in healthcare research. Pharmacoepidemiology and Drug Safety 2011; 20(8):885-93. Epub 2011 Jun 28.
- Wei L, MacDonald TM, Mackenzie IS. Co-prescription of co-trimoxazole and spironolactone in elderly patients. BMJ 2011;343:d5656.
- Burton TJ, Mackenzie IS, Balan K, Koo B, Bird N, Soloviev DV, Azizan EAB, Gurnell M, Brown MJ. Evaluation of the sensitivity and specificity of 11C-metomidate positron emission tomography (PET)-CT scanning for lateralising aldosterone secretion by Conn’s adenomas. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism 2011 (in press).
- Mackenzie IS, MacDonald TM, Shakir S, Dryburgh M, Mantay BJ, McDonnell PG, Layton D. Influenza H1N1 (swine flu) vaccination: a safety surveillance study using self-reporting of serious adverse events and pregnancy outcomes. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology 2011 (in press).
Medicine, Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics teaching.
Medical students, other health professionals
Train the Trainers Teaching Course (2005)
PGCertMedEd course (distance learning) - commenced September 2008, University of Dundee.
Equality and Diversity Training, University of Dundee, Feb 2010. Disability, Disability in the Workplace, Diversity in Learning and Teaching, Stress in the Workplace, A Manager’s Guide to Stress.
New SCOTS Educational Supervision Workshop, May 2010.
- The use of F-DOPA PET scanning in the diagnosis of phaeochromocytoma. British Nuclear Medicine Society Annual Meeting, Cambridge, September 2006.
- Endocrine hypertension – don’t miss it or it will cost you. Oxford Advanced Endocrinology Seminar, Oxford, September 2006.
- Catecholamine secreting tumours. Association of Clinical Biochemistry Southern Region Scientific Meeting, Hemel Hempstead, March 2007.
- Adrenal incidentaloma. BHS Hypertension Masterclass, Cambridge, September 2007.
- Hypertension. Medicine Postgraduate Meeting, Inverclyde General Hospital, September 2008.
- Phaeochromocytoma. Diabetes & Endocrinology Meeting, Ninewells Hospital, October 2008.
- Phaeochromocytoma. Endocrinology Meeting, Aberdeen Royal Infirmary, January 2009.
- Keynote lecture. Cardiovascular safety of drugs: the ‘real life’ collaborative approach in Scotland. Scottish Cardiovascular Forum, Inverness, January 2009.
- Adrenal incidentaloma. Diabetes & Endocrinology Meeting, Ninewells Hospital, February 2009
- Update on NSAIDs and cardiovascular disease. SCOT Steering Committee Meeting, Edinburgh, February 2009.
- Phaeochromocytoma. Grand Round, Western Infirmary, Glasgow, March 2009.
- Accelerated hypertension. Acute Medicine Meeting, Ninewells Hospital, April 2009.
- NSAIDs and cardiovascular disease. SCOT Principal Investigator Meeting, Copenhagen, Denmark, May 2009.
- Advances in catecholamine-secreting tumours. RCPE Tayside Symposium, February 2010.
- Swine flu vaccine safety study – pilot of the use of novel technologies to collect safety data. Caledonian Society of Clinical Pharmacology Annual Meeting, Glasgow, March 2010.
- Novel uses of technologies in clinical trials. Society for Clinical Trials Annual Conference, Baltimore, United States, May 2010.
- Clinical management of phaeochromocytoma. Endocrinology 2010, London, September 2010.
- The Standard care versus Celecoxib Outcome Trial. UKPCRN National Team Day, Birmingham, November 2010.
- Trial logistics and recruitment: likely challenges. FAST Steering Committee Meeting, London, December 2010.
- Swine flu vaccination: a safety study. CMDN Research Symposium, Dundee, January 2011.
- NSAID update. SCOT Steering Committee Meeting, Edinburgh, February 2011.
- Use of record linkage in clinical trials. Scottish Health Informatics Programme (SHIP) Conference: Exploiting Existing Data for Health Research, St Andrews, September 2011.
- Update on catecholamine secreting tumours. Endocrinology Meeting, Aberdeen, 2012.