Clinical Senior Lecturer
Information technology (IT) use to support diabetes patient care, and innovative approaches to patient and professional education
University of Dundee,
Centre for Molecular Medicine
Clinical Research Centre, Level 7, Mail Box 11,
Ninewells Hospital and Medical School,
Dundee DD1 9SY
+(44) 01382 383560
Dr Debbie Wake is a Senior Lecturer and Consultant Physician at University of Dundee/ NHS Tayside (diabetes/ general endocrinology/ osteoporosis). Her research interests include informatics and new technology approaches to patient care, management and education. Further research interests include understanding associations between diabetes and psychiatric disease. Previous research experience is in the area of steroid metabolism in human obesity and diabetes (PhD- 2006) and clinical aspects of diabetes management.
Debbie coordinates the undergraduate teaching in diabetes and endocrinology at the University of Dundee, is programme director for the MSc Quality diabetes care programme and clinical lead for the PG cert/Dip/ MSc Diabetes Care, Education and Management, part of the Kuwait Scotland eHealth Innovation Network. She previously developed an online distance learning MSc programme in Internal Medicine (2011) for the University of Edinburgh and Royal College of Physicians.
Debbie also has an active role in public health communication. She is a regular contributor to radio health programming, was previously resident doctor on Scottish Televisions flagship show 'The Hour', and was a health columnist The Scotsman newspaper for many years. She developed and produced the first medical podcast series in the UK (Dr Pods Healthcast) in 2005, and has also produced and presented videos and webstreams for doctors.net and NES (NHS Education Scotland). She provides clinical support for the innovative mydiabetesmyway patient portal and website - where patients can access their own clinical data and find educational resources on-line
Qualifications: MBChB (Hons), BSC 1st class (Hons), PhD, Diploma Clin Ed, MRCPE
Research Interests Include:
- Use of informatics by health care professions to improve patient care
- Patient data access portals and web based technology in patient care, management and education
- Understanding associations between diabetes and psychiatric disease
- Scott G Cunningham, Massimo Brillante, Brian Allardice, Ritchie R McAlpine, Lyn Wilson, James Walker, Alistair Emslie-Smith, Helen Richards, Laura Tucker, Deborah J Wake (2014) My Diabetes My Way: Providing online support for diabetes self-care in Scotland. Diabetes & Primary Care, 16(3), 123–128
- Conway, N.T., Al Wotayan, R., Alkuzam, A., Al-Refaei, F.F., Badawi, D, Barake, R., Bell, A., Boyle, G, Chisholm, S., Connell, J., Emslie-Smith, A., Goddard, C., Greene, S.A., Halawa, N., Judson, A., Kelly, C., Ker, J., Morris, A., Scott, M., Shaltout, A., Sibbald, D., Sukkar, F., Wake, D., Behbehani, K. (2014) The Kuwait-Scotland eHealth Innovation Network (KSeHIN): a sustainable approach to quality improvement in healthcare. Quality in Primary Care 22(11), 43-51
- Cunningham S.G., Wake D.J., Waller A., Morris A.D, Walker J.D. (2013) My Diabetes My Way: an electronic personal health record for diabetes. British Journal of Diabetes and Vascular Disease 13(3), 143-49.
- Cunningham S G, Pandharkame S., Greene A.C., McAlpine R.R., Emslie-Smith A, Wake D. Walker J., Waller A, Morris A.D., Wyatt J.C. (2014) Patients’ expectations of electronic record access. British Journal of Diabetes and Vascular Disease (in press)
- Wake D. J., Cunningham S (2013) Digital Diabetes- Looking to The Future. British Journal of Diabetes and Vascular Disease 13(1), 13-20
- Wake D.J., Goddard C.A, Ker, J.S., Scott M. (2013) Reflecting in the Middle East; Blossoming Trees. Clinical Teacher 10(4), 264-5
- Wake, D.J, Mackay, L., Jaap A., Walker J., McKnight J. (2012) CSII: Local and National Perspectives from Patients to Politics. British Journal of Diabetes and Vascular Disease (12): 87-90
- Nixon, M., Wake D.J., Livingstone D.E.W., Stimson R.H., Esteves C.L., Seckl J.R., Chapman K.E., Andrew R., Walker B.R. (2012) Salicylate down-regulates 11β-HSD1 expression in adipose tissue in obese mice and in humans, mediating insulin sensitisation. Diabetes; 61(4):790-6.
- Wake D.J., McKnight J. (2009) Low dose aspirin in Diabetes (review) Diabetes and Primary Care 11(1): cover story
- Wake DJ, Lamb JV, Babu N, Campbell IW. (2008) Prolonged ventilation in thyroid storm. Scottish Medical Journal 53: 5
- Wake D.J., McKnight J. Diabetes and Hypertension (2008) Diabetes Research Wellness Foundation (Review)
- Stimson, RH, Johnstone AM, Homer NZ, Wake DJ, Morton NM, Andrew R, Lobley GE, Walker BR (2007) Dietary Macronutrient Content Alters Cortisol Metabolism Independent of Body Weight Changes in Obese Men J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92(11): 4480-4484
- Wake DJ, Stimson RH, Tan GD, Homer NZ, Andrew R, Karpe F, Walker BR (2007) Effects of peroxisome proliferators activated receptor -alpha and -gamma –agonists on 11 beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1 in subcutaneous adipose tissue in men. (2007) J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92(5): 1845-56
- Wake, D.J., Strand, M., Rask, E., Westerbacka, J., Livingstone, D.E.W, Soderberg, S., Andrew, R., Yki-Jarvinen, H., Olsson, T., and Walker, B.R. (2007) Intra-adipose sex steroid metabolism and body fat distribution in idiopathic obesity Clin Endo (Oxf.) 66(3): 440-6.
- Koska, J., de Courten, B., Wake, D.J, Nair, S., Walker, B.J, Bunt, J.C, Permana, P.A, Lindsay, R.S, Tataranni, P.A. (2006) 11bHSD1 in adipose tissue and prospective changes in body weight and insulin resistance Obesity (Silver Springs) 14(9):1515-22
- Wake, D.J., Homer, N.Z., Andrew, R., Walker, B.R. (2006) Acute in vivo regulation of 11- hydroxysteroid dehydrogenae type 1 activity by insulin and Intralipid infusions in humans J Clin Endocrinol Metab 91(11); 4682-8
- Goedecke, J.H., Wake, D.J., Levitt, N.S., Lambert E.V., Collins M.R., Morton N.M., Andrew R, Seckl J.R., Walker B.R. (2006) Glucocorticoid Metabolism within superficial subcutaneous rather than visceral adipose is associated with features of the metabolic syndrome in South African women Clin Endo 65(1): 81-7
- Wake D.J., Jadhav V., Whittome L.R., Campbell I.W. Wolfram Syndrome: DIDMOAD (2005) British Journal of Diabetes and Vascular Disease 5; 236-237
- Wake D.J., Wright R. J., Love S.C., Campbell I. W, Ulnar Mononeuropathy in Diabetes Mellitus (2005) British Journal of Diabetes and Vascular Disease 5; 171-172
- Wake, D. J. and Walker B. R. (2005) Inhibition of 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1 in obesity (Review) Endocrine 65(1): 81-7
- Sutinen, J., Kannisto K., Korsheninnikova E., Nyman T., Ehrenborg E., Andrew R., Wake, D.J., Hamsten A., Walker, B.R. and Yki-Järvinen, H. (2004) HIV-associated lipodystrophy; pseudo-cushing’s syndrome is associated with increased regeneration of cortisol by 11b-Hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1 in adipose tissue. Diabetologia 47: 1668-1671
- Wake, D.J., Walker, B.R. (2004) 11-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1 in obesity and the metabolic syndrome (Review) Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2004 Feb 27;215(1-2):45-54.
- Westerbacka, J., Yki-Järvinen, H., Vehkavaara, S., Häkkinen, A, Andrew, R. Wake, D.J, Seckl, J.R., Walker, B.R., (2003) Body fat distribution and cortisol metabolism in healthy men: enhanced 5-reductase and lower cortisol/cortisone metabolite ratios in men with fatty liver Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism 88(10): 4924-31.
- Wake, D.J., Rask, E., Livingstone, D.E.W., Söderberg, S., Olsson, T., Walker, B.R. (2003) Local and systemic impact of transcriptional upregulation of 11-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1 in adipose tissue in human obesity Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism 88(8):3983-8.
- Lindsay, R.S., Wake, D.J., Nair, S., Bunt, J., Livingstone, D.E.W., Permana, P., Tataranni, P.A., Walker, B.R. (2003) Subcutaneous adipose 11b- hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1 activity and mRNA levels are associated with adiposity and insulinemia in Pima Indians and Caucasians Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism 88(6):2738-44.
- Wake, D.J., Cutting, W.A.M (1997) Blood Transfusion in Developing Countries: problems, priorities and practicalities (Review). Tropical Doctor: 28:4-8
- Malcomson, R.D.G, McCullough, C.T., *Bruce, D.J., Harrison, D.J. (1995) The Scope of quantitative polymerase chain reaction assays in clinical molecular pathology. J Clinical Pathol: Mol Pathol 48. *maiden name
- Convener of Phase 2 Endocrinology and Diabetes for Undergraduate Medicine (MBChB)
- Director of Cert/ Dip/ MSc Quality Diabetes Care
- Clinical Lead MSc Diabetes Care, Education and Management (Kuwait-Scotland eHealth Innovation Network)
Nicholas Conway (MD)- Informatics and technology as a tool for information delivery to health care professionals (HCPs) and patients.