After many years in Tay Park House, it is with mixed feelings that we have recently moved to The Mackenzie Building on the Ninewells Hospital and Medical School site... more info
The Centre for Medical Education within the School of Medicine in the University of Dundee is one of the leading international centres in medical education.
The Centre is situated in The Mackenzie Building, based at Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, one of the largest teaching hospitals in Europe.
The Centre provides educational support for the Medical School and collaborates with a number of other institutions in the UK and overseas.
The Centre has more than 30 years’ experience of running courses in medical education and over 5000 participants from more than 73 countries have taken part. The Dundee qualifications are recognised throughout the world.
The Centre has a range of activities:
- research into education in the healthcare professions
- development and implementation of new approaches to teaching and learning, including the more effective use of traditional methods and the application of new technology
- dissemination of information about medical education
- education of healthcare professionals and the provision of accredited courses for teachers ranging from short workshops to programmes leading to a Postgraduate Certificate, Diploma, Masters degree or PhD
- provision of an education service and consultancy to government, medical schools, postgraduate bodies and other organisations.
Our major focus is to make teaching and learning more effective in all phases of education including undergraduate, postgraduate and continuing education.
Staff at the Centre come from a variety of backgrounds in the healthcare professions and education. The Centre is actively involved in innovations in medical education and has been responsible for the introduction of a number of new approaches to teaching, assessment and curriculum planning. The Centre has unique experience in the development of attractive and useful distance learning materials, producing programmes in which over 15,000 healthcare professionals have enrolled.
The Centre offers a unique programme of courses at Postgraduate Certificate, Diploma, Masters and PhD level to meet the needs of those involved in education of healthcare professionals. Courses are available through distance learning or face-to-face teaching.