History of the School of Medicine


The Dundee Medical School celebrated its 40th Anniversary in September 2007 but this belies its history and origins which are intrinsically linked with the ancient University of St Andrews founded in 1411, and the University College of Dundee (UCD), founded in 1883. The Medical School building opened in 1904 as part of UCD which became Queens College of St Andrews in 1954. The University Charter was awarded to Queens College becoming the University of Dundee in 1967; a natural extension of this change of status was the formation of an independent Dundee Medical School.



In 1974 the Ninewells Hospital and Medical School was officially opened by The Queen Mother. The commissioning of Ninewells changed the services previously undertaken at Dundee Royal Infirmary (DRI) the original acute care and teaching hospital, ultimately leading to its closure in the late ‘90s.The University Teaching Hospital at Ninewells is well supported by the other two main acute University Teaching Hospitals, Perth Royal Infirmary (PRI), in the South and Stracathro near Brechin in the North. Stracathro has a wide range of clinics, day surgery and imaging services forming what is known as an Ambulatory Diagnostic and Treatment Centre (ADTC). Perth has a similar health service profile to Ninewells inclusive of a busy A&E facility, O&G, General Medicine and Surgery.

The School has evolved over the years providing an excellent medical education and training for future doctors and in doing so promoting leadership and innovation in medical teaching and research.

With its annual intake of 154 students (inclusive of 11 overseas students) it is small enough for staff and students to get to know each other while still being regularly found at the top of research and teaching league tables.