After Postgraduate Diploma level studies, participants who wish to develop expertise in one or more aspects of medical education can progress to a supervised research project to complete the taught Masters degree. The focus at the Masters level is on the Teacher as Researcher. This involves in-depth study of one aspect or topic of medical education, the completion of a project and written submission of the research project. Acceptance of their Masters proposals is dependent on satisfactory progress at Postgraduate Certificate and Diploma levels.
Those participants who wish to progress to the Masters stage of the course will be required to complete the core module for the Masters, Research in Medical Education. Participants can choose from two available paths. They may choose to complete a 60-credit research-based dissertation of 10,000-15,000 words. Alternatively, they may choose to undertake an additional optional module at the Masters stage and submit a 45-credit research-based journal article of 7,000-words. Participants choosing the latter option will be advised to choose an optional module relevant to their research project.
Upon completion of the Masters, participants will have:
- understood core theoretical principles of educational research and demonstrated their abilities to apply these through their own independent research study
- developed competencies of becoming educational researchers
- developed important transferable academic skills (e.g. reflection, critical thinking, academic writing, e-learning, information retrieval and autonomous study skills)
If you wish to apply to join the programme you must:
- hold a professional qualification in one of the healthcare professions or another relevant qualification
- be engaged in, or planning to become involved in, the education of others
- be able to provide evidence of your English language competence if English is not your first language - if you are applying for the Masters programme, you need IELTS 7.0 or equivalent
- submit a Masters Proposal for approval to the Board of Studies only after successfully completing the requirements for the Postgraduate Diploma
Please contact the Courses Office for more information.