Applications are invited for a Postdoctoral Research position for a maternity leave cover, funded by a Wellcome Trust Senior Research Fellowship award to Professor Sara Brown.
The position is 1.0 FTE and available for 6 months from April/May 2018 with possible extension.
Applicants must have a PhD in a biomedical or biological science, with experience in molecular genetics and primary cell culture.
Sara’s work focuses on the investigation of genetic mechanisms in atopic eczema, using histological, functional and molecular assessment of an organotypic skin culture model to test candidate genes. Her group also utilises next generation sequencing of DNA and RNA and state-of-the-art proteomics approaches to investigate genetic effects in skin.
The successful applicant will join a group comprising, in addition to Professor Brown, a highly experienced laboratory technician, postdoctoral bioinformatician, undergraduate students and PhD student(s).
Essential qualifications & experience:
- PhD in biological or biomedical science
- Experience in molecular genetic techniques, including PCR, gene knockdown and over expression, SNP genotyping, DNA, RNA and protein quantification and immunostaining
- Experience of cell culture and appropriate aseptic techniques
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, but also operating as part of a supportive team, receiving and providing direction and guidance as required
- Demonstration of initiative and ability to conceive, design and execute appropriate well-controlled experiments and draw careful conclusions from the outcomes
- Excellent written/oral presentation skills
- Flexibility and willingness to work outwith regular hours if required